Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 Aspencade 1200. It started runing rough at idle sound like a miss on the right side as you sit on it. I pulled the sparkplug wires off one at a time and the front 2 cylinders make a difference but the back 2 do not. It seems to run fine when you get the rpms up to about 3000

My speedo and odometer do not work. I found a chaffed wire down by the black box on the front wheel, right next to the caliber cover. I see 3 wires, green brown and ?? 2 wires are chaffed and have exposed wires.

Any help would be appreciated. My daughter Graduates Marine Corps Boot Camp on Nov 21, 08. I am planning on riding my wing through the base with a MARINE on the back and FLAGS flying. 1 American, 1 Marine Corps, and 1 Patriot Guard.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

First thing that comes to mind is anignition problem. Since the 2 rear cylinders work off a common coil and the same pulse generator that would be the first place to look.

The 2 front cylinders also work off the other common coil so what you can do is swap the plug wires... trade them on the left side (put the front left on the rear left... and the left rear on the front left)

Do the same thing for the right side plug wires. Now, if the coil is at fault the rear cylinders will be the ones that 'make a difference' and the front will not.

You'll need to pull the plug caps out of their holders... to do this remove the bottom rubber boot that goes onto the spark plug. It just prys off. Then spray some lube (WD40 works good) in between the rubber holder and the plug cap. Now twist and pull.. the plug cap will come out. Mark the wires origional position so you don't get them mixed up.

If this pinpoints the ignition as the problem you will have to know if it's the coil, the pulse generator or a wiring problem. Remove the faux gas tank and start inspecting for chaffed wires, bad connections or burnt wires.

Coils can go bad and it's an old enough bike to have a bad coil but the pulse generator is probably more common of a failure than a coil. I posted yesterday about how to do an AC voltage test on the pulse generators... testing for resistance is not very accurate. I've seen good pulse generators test bad when checking for resistance. But if you've got zero volts coming out of it you can be sure that it's bad... and not just guessing about it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:pumpkin:I had the same problem after changing an engine a few months ago. The gap was closed up on one of the coils in the pulse generator. You can get to it by dropping the rear wheel, muffler and swing arm ( on an 84 it is on the back of the engine ). You can replace just a coil and gap it by the book. Honda would have you think you must replace the entire assembly but this is not true.
:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.