Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After getting reamed by the local goldwing expert.....He replaced a lifter and a valve in my head, but then I had an oil leak from my cam seal. He fixed that free of charge, but then I had an oil leak supposedly from my valve cover. He charged me for another gasket and then said it didn't fix the leak cause I need new rubber grommets. I bought the grommets online and installed them and still had a leak. I finally took it to a friends volkswagen shop and he looked at it. He found that the head was cracked by the oil return and the oil was running down the bottom of the valve cover. I need a new head. By the way, after the goldwing mechanic did all that work, my bike still sounded like a diesel.....fastforward to this weekend. I picked up another head from ebay and got it yesterday. My neighbor and I did all the work and have the other head in. This is what it sounds like. It's worse than before!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?bk0s66pqxqzsp1n

My neighbor is in the middle of swapping out lifters from my old head. I'm ready to give up on this bike!! HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

We swapped out the lifters and it still sounds the same. We are at a dead end now. Help!

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

Do you have a service manual to show you how to bleed the adjusters?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

We have a pdf of the service manual. I'm reading about it now. We definately didn't do that. I was so tired of being reamed by the bike mechanic, we thought we could do the swap ourselves. We didn't realize we needed to prep the head before installing. It doesn't look too difficult except we need to get a dial gauge. That will have to be next on the list. We sure were hoping swapping heads would've solved our issue. At least we don't have an oil leak anymore!! This bike has been a nightmare since I took it to the shop for a tire change.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Is there anyway we could be one tooth off on the timing? We followed the pix on this site and looks like we are on, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

Of course you could be 1 tooth off but it is easy to see. If you line up the T1 mark on the flywheel and the cam pulley mark does not line up with the notch on the cover it is off. Sometimes they will be a little bit off but that's OK as long as it's not a whole tooth.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
imported post

It will still run if you are off 1 tooth. It won't hurt anything, it will just sound funny and not perform up to par. It won't cause knocking or ticking though.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It looks dead on to be honest. Been working outside in the driveway(snow n all) at my neighbors. We gave up for the day a few hours ago. Will take another look at her tomorrow when my frustration has subsided a little.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Sajo, how common or rare are situations with a bent conn. rod. Later.
I hope not too common, ya'll got me worried now. My bike's got a little rattle to it too, but I thought the 1200's were just inherently talkative (that's what I got from other threads anyway), I'm interested to see what turns up here.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I am not sure how common this is, I have been an auto mechanic for 30 years and would have sworn the noise was valve related. Imagine my surprize when I finally split the cases and saw the rod. Everything else seemed fine, (just ordered new piston today). My normal supplier had everything (bearings and seals) but did not have a piston or a ring set.I think I may have had a carb issue that allowed the cylinder or port to fill with fuel so I just ordered the carb kits from Randakk's.

Bike had been running fine till one day when it was hard to start and when if finally did start I had the noise. Also hard to believe it ran with the bent rod.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

CBX n GL man wrote:
Sajo, how common or rare are situations with a bent conn. rod. Later.
That is not a common occurance. Most likely cause for a bent rod is a liquid getting in the cylinder and then when the piston comes up it won't compress and, presto, you have a bent rod. Bike sitting out in a heavy rain or a leaking carb with the fuel petcock not turned off are two things that could cause that.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

No mention of miles on the motor on Craigs list. Put a new set of cam belts in it if you buy. Price sounds about right.

Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Hey RayJay, I'm pretty sure that's the same guy I just picked up a set of carbs from for $51, maybe off the motor on CL. He had the carbs and other 1200 stuff on ebay, he said the bike was sitting for a couple months but he put in a battery and it started up, idled fine and revved up fine.

He buys Wings and parts them out. He happened to be coming down the hill from Victorville to Riverside so he actually delivered which was cool, never know maybe he's passing thru Ariz. soon, haha.

Doesn't seem like a BSr but that's just my impression from talking a couple minutes. Later.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

After everything I've been through, I'm ready to try another motor. It's a 7 hr drive to Victorville for me, but well worth it if the motor indeed runs good. Swapping a motor out sounds like a huge job. We'll need more than the driveway for that.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Just called and the motor has been sold!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Do you have a service manual to show you how to bleed the adjusters?
You think the noise I have could actually be fixed by bleeding the adjusters?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.