Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ole Guy
168 Posts
imported post

Any luggage in the way? Do you have tools? Has the bike been in service recently. What's the history? Over hauling the brakes is not too hard if nothing is frozen. Fill us in.

Ole Guy

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Is your problem the pedal or the caliper? alot of times the foot pedal will jam up from road slop where it hinges. If that is your issue, you can take it off, Clean it & grease it, or blast water at the swivel joint while you work the pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
imported post

The rear brake , if not seized it a quick cleaning and replacement procedure which should take you an hour at most.

I would suggest putting a peice of wood a l;il thinner than the rotor inplace between the brake pads and press the brake. This will push them out a bit further and give you room to clean the pistoons.
The last thing you want to do on a simple brake job is push dirty gunked up pistons back in the sleeve. Allowing dirt back in there will eventuall give you brake failure.
Not sure if anyone else agrees but that is from experience.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Is your problem the pedal or the caliper? alot of times the foot pedal will jam up from road slop where it hinges. If that is your issue, you can take it off, Clean it & grease it, or blast water at the swivel joint while you work the pedal.
+1 My pedal just locked up a few days ago. The master cylinder was shot and I thought the pedal sticking was related to that. Yesterday I rebuilt the master cylinder (brake action is much better). But, I noticed that the pedal was very difficult to move even when the master cylinder was removed. I ended up greasing the pivot and it made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:It would probably be a good idea to rebuild the rear master cylinder and check and make sure that the tiny fluid return hole isn't plugged. If that tiny hole is plugged up your rear brakes will not release.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
imported post

Just had the rear brake pedal on my '83 Aspy freeze up. I removed the pedal, cleaned the pivot point up with a Dremel tool, and packed it full of grease. Works like a charm now.:action:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

hi there!! I am not sure what the problem is exactly with the back break. The previous owner mentioned that he did not use the back break, so i am thinking it is probably frozen. I will try cleaning the pedal first.

I appreciate all of your answers, it gives me a place to start!!

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.