Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 85 Gold Wing that I got two months ago, so I am glad your site is here. It has 31,000 miles on it and every thing is perfect except the suspension which I figure I can work on over the winter and this new problem. It has just started on occasion to back fire and stall after I have been riding just a few minutes. Also randomly it will not start but back fire as I am pressing the start button. If I let it sit 10 or 15 minutes, it starts and runs fine. It seems to be getting worse as it did it tonight and I can't get it to start. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

. according to my Clymers..if the bike is really running  well....... then.... the most obvious suspect is the slow air valves...... but there are lots of other causes  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

SteelnWood wrote:
I have an 85 Gold Wing that I got two months ago, so I am glad your site is here. It has 31,000 miles on it and every thing is perfect except the suspension which I figure I can work on over the winter and this new problem. It has just started on occasion to back fire and stall after I have been riding just a few minutes. Also randomly it will not start but back fire as I am pressing the start button. If I let it sit 10 or 15 minutes, it starts and runs fine. It seems to be getting worse as it did it tonight and I can't get it to start. Any ideas?
SteelnWood , lots of ideas but they won't help much untilwe figure out if it is a lack of fuel or lack of spark causing the problem.. Your problem could be many things but with your symptoms I would put the ignition pulse generators at the top of the list as those seem to be heat sensitive as to when they quit..

Next time it quits or won't re-start, carry a spare spark plug (with theelectrode gap opened to about 3/16")& install that in one of the plug wires & lay on the cyl head (that way you can leave the original plug in the engine).. Crank it & see if youare getting a nice bluish colored spark that appears at a nice even intervals.. If you are getting a blueish spark that jumps that 3/16" gap & is good & crisp then you are probably left with a fuel problem.. Try removing the fuel cap & seeing if that helps (maybe the tank vent system is plugged up).. If you aren't getting a GOOD spark then verify the voltage to the ign coils during cranking & if low suspect the ign switch for having high internal resistance (somewhat common), or possibly the pulse generators acting up..

Once you figure out if it is spark or fuel related we can help you pin it down to the area that is causing the problem..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

SteelnWood Welcome to the site. If the members here don't know the answer, then it aint broke. :goofygrin:

I had a smiler problem with my 85 1200, and it ended up being the pulse generator. It would work intermittent. Right now, I am waiting for my pulse generator to come in, they are back ordered so I don't know when I will be riding in the wind again. :baffled:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey SteelnWood :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jim,

Have your pulse generators come in yet and if so did they solve the problem? I am interested since I am not a mechanic and this is driving me nuts. If I can't get help soon I will kiss the riding season goodbye and have to open my wallet for some bike mechanic to reach in and take it all

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

SteelnWood:

Sorry for not posting the results.

Yes, it came in and solved all of my problems. My bike startsalmost instantly now and runs smooth and strong. Because I did not have the time to do the change myself, (long hours, few days off) I had the local Honda dealer do it.

It cost me my right arm and my left leg,:crying: but it runs great now. I also had the timing belts changed, 57,100 miles on it, and they found a leak in my clutch slave valve which was also fixed.

My R/R then melted which I replaced. I hope my stater doesn't go. I need a break and some riding time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.