Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two months ago I thought I was getting a Wing ..Thanks to the solicitors I didnt get it untill yesterday...but boy am I one happy bunny. Its an 87 ( well looked after) 1200 Aspencade and for those that didnt read my first posting...I havent ridden a Wing for nigh on twenty years. If you had seen my first tentative steps when I took it out of my mates drive you would have thought I hadnt WALKED for twenty years...I was Sh****g myself.

285 miles later...Its like riding a bike.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support...not to mention the wifes birthday ideas.

In the way of putting something back to the forum I would just like to tell you my experience with insuring the Wing.

Being the sort of bloke that likes to deal with people face to face, I tried to find a broker locally. The cheapest fully comp cover I could get was £444...plus two nights with my wife and a signed contract with the devil in blood........having a phobia about blood, I thought ..sod that...and tried the internet. The upshot being I got fully comp for £154.65...and I took out the optional £25 legal cover.

Shop around folks....that was with no alarm..no garage...no security device and no no claims...in fact its cheaper than the rider policy I had with Norwich Union twenty years ago.

No doubt someones going to tell me they have fully comp for 6 quid that includes two tickets to see Status Quo and free tube of Autosol...but I dont care...in the words of Willie Nelson...Im "On the road again"

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

That's great ! Ride safe, don't get in over your head and have fun!

got to love it when a "UK" guy quotes "Willie Nelson" !!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Armitage Shanks :waving: Well done :clapper:glad to see that you got your :12red: and everything has worked out well for you. Ins is a tricky issue, it's better to shop around before you part with the hard earned bucks. :crying:Enjoy all the miles in safety. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Armitage Shanks wrote:
Two months ago I thought I was getting a Wing ..Thanks to the solicitors I didnt get it untill yesterday...but boy am I one happy bunny. Its an 87 ( well looked after) 1200 Aspencade and for those that didnt read my first posting...I havent ridden a Wing for nigh on twenty years. If you had seen my first tentative steps when I took it out of my mates drive you would have thought I hadnt WALKED for twenty years...I was Sh****g myself.
I know the feeling, I was off bikes for over 25 years when I got my '86 SEI about a year ago. Did fine except for awhile I thought I'd have to get a turntable at the end of the street to turn the thing around. I can comfortably do figure eights with the woman who hangs around here on the back in that area now. Like they say, 'it's like riding a bike, you never forget how', but they failed to say how rusty and intimidated you can get!:goofygrin:
:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

LOL!! My first "To the Rear March" ended in my gently just setting the thing down on the asphalt and then playing the devil to bring it back up again!!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Well done Armitage Shanks. Go out and enjoy your Goldwing in th egood weather, and when it's too bad too take the bike out, the company here is always good. :waving:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I can relate to your present state of mind. Idecided to getback into bikes after a break of 35 years and puchased my 1992 Interstate from the states. I had forgotten how much fun riding a bike can be. I have been taking it real easy but have just passed the 500 mile mark. With hindsight should have purchased a bike with reverse, never mind, next time. Suns up off for a spin.

Regards to all.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

my first trip after a ten year lay off was a 250 mile trip back home on my new to me 1500 and as you rightly say i was sh**ing myself as well. 30000 miles in 18 months later and an IAM course under my belt i feel a lot more confident on the 1800 i now own.

recommend the iam course if it is a few years since you have ridden well worth the money and effort

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Have to agree, I was scared to death the first 500 miles after being out of the saddle for 15 years. I am finally feeling better and a little more confident. Good luck and remember Willie said "On the Road Again". So keep it on the road.

Billy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.