Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Which "Back Off Rear Brake Modulator" Do You Own?

• Back Off Wig Wag Brake Modulator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back Off XP Rear Brake Modulator

• I have another brand

• I wish I had one

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm going to order one of the Back Off Brake Modulators. Just trying to figure out which one. If you have a preference, I'd like to know why. I'm adding a poll to see who has which one.

Second, I understand the instuctions that come with it "suck" to say the least. After doing some reading, I understand that installing it in the trunk is far easier. Is this true? Anyway, If anyone has better instruction for the trunk installation, I would really appreciate a copy.

Have any installation pictures? That would be helpful too.

I'm installing it on my 89 Wing.

Thanks for any help.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I built my own, added 45 flashing red LED's to the rear with a pressure on/off & steady "on" switch on the brake lever. It works. :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i have the rear alert on my 1200, and only comes with 3 wires to connect, black(ground) , red and white, there is a fourth wire (green) that is a loop, mine flashes 6 times and the stays on when you have the brakes on, if you cut the green wire i think it just flashes 3 times and stays on, the red and white wire go into the brake light circuit, ive put mineunder the seat, its a doddle to fit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I agree, put it under the seat, fasten it down with a small piece of velcro and be done with it, no need to mess around with the trunk .

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

I went ahead and voted even though my Back Off Wig Wag modulator hasn't arrived yet. Should be here today or tomorrow.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,206 Posts
imported post

I went with the Back Off modulator unit.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have a 79 GL1000, I put the Back off xp under the seat. This one has two modes. I have it wired for the California rules. Five flashes then steady until the brake is released, not the repeating mode. Also it is compatible with LED lights, which i have. The instructions were not difficult.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine is under the trunk in the space where the release levers live.

I'm in the process of designing a new one to replace it with.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Mine is under the trunk in the space where the release levers live.

I'm in the process of designing a new one to replace it with.
I waiting for the new design. Guess that would be "another brand"?

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I designed my own. So I would also consider that to be another brand.

I went with a wig-wag pattern and I used the inboard lights on the trunk.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I use Rear Alert, hooked up just to the rear trunk lights. Easy install put it under the seat.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I use the wig wag and it is also mounted the same place as Rudy's. I think the combo of the back and forth flashing followed by the double flashes is more noticeable. I plan on also adding a simple flashing version to my spoiler light. The more visibility the better IMHO.

John

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I looked under the trunk, found a plug with green/yellow unplugged to check, but the other side still lights with brake applied,having trouble finding common 12v wire to both.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I had the XP connected on my 1200 to a third brake light on top of my trunk that the PO installed. It only came on when the brakes were applied.

I want to attach a flasher to my spoiler light on my 1500. But it is used as a running/brake light. I still want it to be a running light and flash when braking. Will the XP allow that to happen? The factory wiring sends 6v to the light when just running and 12v when braking. I don't want it to be "just a brake light".

Or maybe like mikef....wait for a Rudy Flasher.:cool:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
I want to attach a flasher to my spoiler light on my 1500. But it is used as a running/brake light. I still want it to be a running light and flash when braking. Will the XP allow that to happen? The factory wiring sends 6v to the light when just running and 12v when braking. I don't want it to be "just a brake light".
If your light is a running light and a brake light, then there should be three wires. A ground, a 12v running light wire and a 12v brake light wire. The BackOff connects to the brakelight circuit and there shouldn't be any voltage on that circuit until the brake switch is activated.

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Snorebaby wrote:
If your light is a running light and a brake light, then there should be three wires. A ground, a 12v running light wire and a 12v brake light wire. The BackOff connects to the brakelight circuit and there shouldn't be any voltage on that circuit until the brake switch is activated.

John
Actually there are only 2 wires to the light.....but there are 3 wiresgoing to the control module...it is a switched 6v-12v module. You have to take the trunk off to get to the control module.

When I got the bike, the spoiler was shining bright (12v only) and I traced the wires back to the connector (which is a 2pin connector) under the seat. One wire had been cut. I reconnected the wire and now it works as it should.

I will have to experiment with it to see if I can connect the flasher and have it work the way I want it to without having to take the trunk off. I was wanting to connect it and have the flasher modulein the trunk.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
Actually there are only 2 wires to the light.....but there are 3 wiresgoing to the control module...it is a switched 6v-12v module. You have to take the trunk off to get to the control module.
Hmmm, I hadn't looked at that circuit yet and assumed it was a standard setup. After I saw your message I went and looked at the schematic. It looks like you should be able to put the modulator module on the green/yellow wire feeding the spoiler control module. At least on the 2000 SE, that wire feeds the brake light circuit to the controller. It would be interesting to hear from anyone that has done this. Maybe I can mess with NaturalyGW's. I know his is currently wired to only work with the brake lights and not the running light, but he would like it to be on with the running lights too.

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'm planning on having the one I'm designing be a plus feature of another module. The wig wag part will be a 3 way that includes the spoiler bar and will have circuitry to make the two wire spoiler lights act like 3 wire units if desired.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Don't have the spoiler on mine, it on my wish list of being more visible, trying to get regular brake lights hooked up for now.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I got 2 white/red LED modules from my local police supply place. They are white until you hit the brake, then they flash a brilliant red. They come with a license plate mount, as they are intended as warning lights for emergency vehicles. You can set you own flash pattern, or leave them a steady red. I left mine with a synchronized flash pattern, and wired them from the plate mount to the bag wiring. They are almost painfully visible. Luv'em.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.