Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself and say this appears to be a great information board for Goldwings. I just purchased my 86 GL1200A (8500 miles)a few weeks ago and am having a great time getting re introduced to what I left behind over 30 years ago.

I will surely be searching your brains for answers to some pretty silly questions ( like how do you set the radio buttons on the panasonic radio) and other more technical questionssuch aslooking into the wobble I find at just about any speed. Seems there's a great deal of discussion on this and not uncommon.

I am looking forward to some great rides this summer and find the Goldwind a great cruiser. It better be, I commute 85 miles each day on the interstate to work.

See you often Im sure. Again, GREAT BOARD!:clapper:

Harry

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board. I can asure you this is the place to have questions answered, the guru's and members are tops, and as you will find Redwing will be pestering you for an up grade in status.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board!:waving: An 86 with only 8500 miles! Good find. I have 91000 on my 83 Aspencade and still running strong. I ride mine about 70 miles a day to/from work. Better gas mileage than my car or truck.

Take care of it and it should last for a long time yet. :clapper:

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum airbeat. I envy you your climate. This place is full of friendly, helpfull people, also you'll notice that the accent doesn't carry over onyour monitor. Well at least for most every one but Redwing, and after a while you kinda' get used to him...:leprechaun::leprechaun::leprechaun: :18red: :coollep:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself and say this appears to be a great information board for Goldwings.am having a great time getting re introduced to what I left behind over 30 years ago.

I will surely be searching your brains for answers to some pretty silly questions ( like how do you set the radio buttons on the panasonic radio)
See you often Im sure. Again, GREAT BOARD!:clapper:
Hey airbeat, :waving:Your very welcome to the forum. :clapper:This is the best forum on the world wide web for Honda :18red::15green::1000yellow:The most important thing for you to remember when using this forum is, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SILLY QUESTION. :skipping:The only silly question is the one that is not asked, so dont be afraid to throw plenty of questions at these guys. You will notice a number of these guys have the rank of "Guru" below their avatars(name) that means that they are the experts so they have all the answers. Good luck with your new wing and Happy New Year. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well I wish it were only 8500 miles. My error. I left out a zero. 85000 is what's on it. But from what I have seen there is a lot of life left in this baby.

Just ordered my raingear. No reason not to ride now....

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard Harry. Maybe we can get together and ride the Piney Woods out East sometime. I am around 250 miles away from ya. Beautiful state isn't it?

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Welcome Harry, I envy your low mileage '86. I have a '86 SEI with 60,000 miles. This is a great board except they don't have emoticons for 1200s:waving:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the welcome. A bit of a typo on the mileage though. It's 85000 not 8500. I only wish I got such a good deal.

Still it runs great and I look forward to lots of crusin time.

Harry

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It sure is a beautiful State. BIG too!Hill country is fine riding....

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Welcome Harry, I envy your low mileage '86. I have a '86 SEI with 60,000 miles. This is a great board except they don't have emoticons for 1200s:waving:
None for 1100s yet either. We're still waiting for Budegan to do them! :pWelcome Harry and Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board Harry i will email you a pdf image of the owners hand book in it you will find instructions on tuning in the radio amongst other things, as to the wheel wobble try increasing the air pressure slightly in the front tyre i found this solved the problem with mine and re check often as the wheels are succeptable to air loss around the valve stems over a period of time possibly due to corrosion of the alloy or repeated bending of the valve stem during inflation as they are awkward to get at with airlines at filling stations, they are designed with cars in mind, the manual will be emailed to you in parts as it is on the big side you will need Adobe acrobat to read it. yours Malc:waving:pS. hope you are on broadband :skipping:let me know if you get it ok.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Malc,

I am not on broadband :(but look forward to your email. I will check the tire pressure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there someplace I can get a copy of the owners manual? I'm sure it would be helpful.

Harry

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board airbeat.. Yes, this site is the ultimate in knowledge and support for Goldwings.. They're the ONLY bike to tour on.. I recently purchased my second 86 Aspy and it has 25,000 miles on it.. I thought I was in heaven when I came across it.. It's completely stock and flawless. The guy who owned it was a Shriner and passed away two years before I purchased the bike. He kept it spotless...

Getting to your wobble... With 85,000 miles on the odometer, I would look VERY closeley at the front tire.. It's probably cupped along the tread line and difficult to see... Especially since you get the wobble all the time.. Second, perform the inspection on the steering head bearings. They may be a little loose and require an adjustment to tighten them up... Also, while you have the front end up off the floor, inspect the front wheel bearings for wear. There should be absolutely NO free play, side to side.

Keep us in the loop and let us know how you are progressing.. The guys on this forum will have your Wing at peak performance for the rest of it's life...ps..I spent some time in Texas and enjoyed it very much... (Somewhere around Lackland, San Antonio and Witchata Falls,,, I believe)... :weightlifter:Where are the GL1200 icons??????

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

I have tried to send the manual in parts but my server has rejected it as the files are to large, as for tuning the radio use the up/down switch on the left handlebar to tune the station you require then press the m/me button on the radio the display will flash CH then select one of the buttons numbered 1-4 WAIT 7 SECONDS AND THE CHANNEL WILL BE STORED repeat this until you have selected all 4 stations on fm and another 4 are available on am. as to the manuals they are often for sale on EBAY in CD format the workshop manuals are also available but dont pay to much for them as they are listed quite frequently.:cool:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for the helpful suggestions Renegade. I will do the checks and let you all know how it goes. I am heading off to Colorado next week for ten days of skiing vacation and will get into that as soon as I get back.

You guys are great:clapper: Thanks for all the help.

Malc thanks for trying to upload the manual. I will check out ebay for themanual on CD. Meantime the instructions for the radio are appreciated.

Lots of rain lately and still waiting on my rain gear to show up:(

Harry

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Good for you Harry and all the best on the Wing. If you are able to ski then I'm sure you will be able to handle a Wing! :D

BTW if it's the gl1200 workshop manual you need, Jason might be able to help out. I know he has it all scanned to his PC. He might have missed this in your post.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

No I didn't miss what Harry wrote, but I think he needs the owners handbook and I don't have that. If Harry does need the workshop manual, I have it in about 5 or 6 zipped folders, total size is about 16mbs. If you need it then let me know here or by PM. I have access to fast looped Broadband (don't ask) and it wouldn't be any bother at all for me to send it. The total file size when you unzip them is about 45mbs.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Airbeat glad to see you got the bug to ride again , just go easy and enjoy it !

Watch out for those "Texas Dwarf Dear" at night , they jump out in front of you real quick!

Does "George Foreman" still have his ranch near "Marshall" ?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks for the offer Jason. I am searching now for the owners manual as you said. Looking on ebay for that.

I did purchase a clymer's service manual and a haynes manual which I think will get me through most of what I need. Don't you think so?

Anyhow I'm still in the dark ages here on my dial up which only comes through at 26K. :( Not good for big downloads thats for sure.

Heading off for a week of skiing on friday and when I get back I hope to get into my wobble problem. I did check the front steering with it on the center stand and it just flops side to side with no resistance whatsoever. Is this OK? or could this be the wobble problem? Tires are new so cant tell about any cupping and the bearing's seem tight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.