Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So just so I know for sure, if the exhaust is modified in such a way that reduces back pressure would it cause a richer or leaner state? For exanple if the exhaust were modified to constanrt diameter straight pipes with no cross over what effect would that have on the air fuel mixture? And how drastic would that effect be?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

That would cause the engine to be lean. Not enough fuel mixture. How drastic would it be? Can;t answer that one...

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's kinda what I thought...

It runs pretty danged rich as it is...so straight pipes MIGHT be an improvement. This is the one with the single carb and I have the mixture set as lean as I can get it and the dang thing still run.

My next question is how high is the risk of burnt valves? I would be making the pipes pretty long they would extend out past the rear wheel in fact.

Also what effect would using a cross over have?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanx agnogel,

I actually want straight pipes on it anyway, but being able to get the mixture right will be a big help.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
That's kinda what I thought...

It runs pretty danged rich as it is...so straight pipes MIGHT be an improvement. This is the one with the single carb and I have the mixture set as lean as I can get it and the dang thing still run.

My next question is how high is the risk of burnt valves? I would be making the pipes pretty long they would extend out past the rear wheel in fact.

Also what effect would using a cross over have?
There is some pretty interesting science out there about exhaust systems that you might want to check out that will help in your choices.

As to your questions. I put a set of Harley Sporster mufflers on and found that after I added about 5" to the length (welded on to rear of muffler) with a smaller outlet the bike ran better. Motor was noticeably smoother. So length& diameter will affect performance.

The cross over pipe ( I made one for my exhaust ) improves or keeps mid range power and smooths out the exhaust pulses. Most if not all performance exhaust systems incorporate a cross over pipe of some type. That being said until I added the extention to the exhaust system the right side exhaust flowed more exhaust than the left side. Now with extension both sides are even.

Any changes to exhaust have the potiential for burnt valves. Watch your plugs for signs, also if your idle hangs up or it runsbetter withslight choke when warm it would be running too lean. You'd also notice a loss of power throughout the rpm range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.