Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The backrest on my GL1500 is nice BUT it does not swing forward like the one on my GL1200 which makes getting on and off difficult for the passengers. Do they make for for the GL1500 like the one for the GL1200 or will I have to modify an older one to fit.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have a utopia backrest on my gl1500 and it pivots forward to allow easy access for the passenger. Also no rails or tubes in the way of the passenger legs. Cyclemax, Wingstuff and others sell them.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a utopia backrest on my gl1500 and it pivots forward to allow easy access for the passenger. Also no rails or tubes in the way of the passenger legs. Cyclemax, Wingstuff and others sell them.
Thanks....I've tried one of those before and it lacked the support I was looking for....interesting they make one for the GL1800 like the old GL1200 but I was told they won't fit....

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi TRJ827, I just went through the same situation. The one that you probably would like was made by Drag Specialties. It was called a Wingleader. I looked for a while and found out that they no longer make them for the 1500. I was lucky enough to find a used on on this forum but I have seen them on E-bay every once in a while. Good luck in your search. They are a very comfortable backrest.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The one on my Hartco just slides down in through the seat.To let the wife off I just yank it right out of the seat.The ones with the mounting bars on the side are usually hard on the short legged wives when they are riding as their legs hit the mounting bars.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Saddlemens offers one,too. You gotta buy the road sofa though! jimsjinx

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
The backrest on my GL1500 is nice BUT it does not swing forward like the one on my GL1200 which makes getting on and off difficult for the passengers. Do they make for for the GL1500 like the one for the GL1200 or will I have to modify an older one to fit.
What kind do you have? I've yet to see one that doesn't fold forward or swing forward? The Hartco already mentioned is my current one and they fold forward. You don't have to remove them. Take a closer look at yours under the post cover and you will probably discover there are joints that allow it to swing or fold forward, and they might be stiff and need some lube, loosening or just working it back and forth several times to loosen it up.

John

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
What kind do you have? I've yet to see one that doesn't fold forward or swing forward? The Hartco already mentioned is my current one and they fold forward. You don't have to remove them. Take a closer look at yours under the post cover and you will probably discover there are joints that allow it to swing or fold forward, and they might be stiff and need some lube, loosening or just working it back and forth several times to loosen it up.

John

Yeah mine does tilt ahead,but with the wife being so short she finds it a lot easier if I yank it out which is no big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.