Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With a birthday coming up, I am considering asking for a riders backrest, from the generous members of my family.

I really fancy the type that are cut through the seat, but I am having difficulty finding one in UK, so firstly, does anyone know if they are available still?

Secondly, how do you guys compare them to the framed type, any advantages/ disadvantages? I sat on a 1500 with the framed type at the weekend and it seemed that the frame touched my rear end. Not being exactly broad in the beam I was surprised, plus it seemed a bit of a game to move to give access for passenger, with the twist locking things at the side.

I would be happy to get the through seat version shipped from state side, if you all say they are best and available over there.

Thanks Guys/ Gals.

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I am not sure if the seat type are available for the 1500 ,,But the frame type have been on the 1500 for a long time and I have had several and I must say I never found a problem with them ,,they are fully adjustable and just tilt forward for the passenger to get on ,,,A backrest is money well spent,no matter what type..cheers Ciaran

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Pete, the Utopia are recommended by a lot of people, I don't know for sure if they can be added to an existing seat or not though. Here's the URL:

http://www.utpr.com/

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

agree with Wexman - brought one for my 1500 and it was the frame time - now i am not a small guy by any means and it was fine for me - mind her in doors is only abotu 10stone dripping wet.

I did put one of the Utopia rests on my 1800 - cut throught the seat job and i have regretted it ever since - dont know why cause its fine but its the fact that i cut the seat fabric more than anything else - keep thinking of buying a new seat but the price of it .....

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

;)hi there pete,talking of birthdays its also mine this month,i'm 41 but acting 14(so people tell me),last year i got this :12beige:so this year i want this:15red:,:grinner:but really i'm happy with my 1200 aspy for now? anyway pete heres to us mate :birthday:have a good 1:cooldj:,bri,sunderland ,uk.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well, Yes indead, :birthday:to us!! I think you will find that I have a few years on you yet, but not to forget that REDWING is also a birthday boy this month, I hope we are invited to his party, as it is a big 0 for him this year!!!:clapper::band::banana::bananas::birthday::blackstuff::):cooldj:

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Silverfox :leprechaun: My neighbour had the markland backrest fitted to his three :15red:but when he bought his :18red:he had the Utopia fitted, and i have to say that it is streets ahead of the markland, :clapper:no messy bars etc. It cost him $169 with Sam at http://www.wingtoys.com/ in good old Texas.

:walker::18red::walker:

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The best part of the Utopia is that it can easily be removed, and it interferes less with a passenger.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

exavid wrote:
The best part of the Utopia is that it can easily be removed, and it interferes less with a passenger.
I am definately leaning towards the Utopia, I emailed them tonight and they responded quickly, and it is not prohibitively expensive to ship to Uk.

I also like the idea of having the exclusive right to interfere with my passenger!

Does the back rest adjust fore and aft, for riders position on seat Exavid, or is it just up and down movement?

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Can't tell you Pete, I don't like backrests! But if one does the Utopia sure looks like the best. I think REDWING's neighbor might have one on his 1800. I know he's touted it as the best going. If I had one that's the one I'd have, I had a Drag Specialties on my bike which is better than the Markland thing with all the plumbing, but it got in the way of the woman who hangs around here.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Utopia is the way to go.

Very reliable, good workmanship and high grade materials, I've had mine for three years now.

Mine is the basic model, it detaches in seconds, one bolt. It's adjustable, but for me it's all the way back.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks guys, you can collect your commisions from Utopia:goofygrin:

I am sold on it. I had another look over their site and answered all my questions, Now I just have to be nice to everyone for a few days and hope that they get generous for my :birthday:

I appreciate the comments of the frame type supporters, but I am still going to go down the Utopia road, particularly as, She who should be obeyed, is leaning towards that system. When I post asking for guidance on seat sewing in a couple of weeks, you can all say " Plonker, I told you so":doh:Have watched Steves video on fitting a through the seat backrest, so I am sharpening my carving knive and threading the needle:byebye::goofygrin:

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Silverfox :leprechaun:Utopia is the way to go. :clapper:My neighbour was the first in Ireland to have the Utopia fitted when he bought his :18red:in '02. It also comes with a pin as an extra if you intend to remove it for any reason, :stumped:you must order the pin seperately if you require that. :clapper:The video shown by Utopia is the wingnuts presentation on fitting. :clapper:Good luck with the cutting.

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Hi Pete, Don't want to labour the issue cos it seems you have all the right advice and I agree Utopia is the way to go. I fitted one to my 18, but like Phil I had misgivings beforehand about attacking the seat with a sharp knife.

I got round the problem of nerves and over-sensivity like this, although you may want to have several rehearsals with a dead piece of foam rubber: remove the seat and place it somewhere out of sight of the bike and which is conducive to instilling a (false) sense of security in the seat, perhaps on the dining-room table rather than a cold and clinical workbench.

Leaveseat in that situ for several hours, preferably overnight. Keep all sharp instruments out of sight. Fuss and fondle freely with much tugging and prodding. Keep nervous muttering to an absolute minimum; if you feel you are losing it, leave the room immediately until composure is recovered.

At an appropriately quiet moment, maybe in the wee small hours just before dawn, stealthily approach the seat from the rear, making not the slightest sound, so thatyour presence is concealed until the moment of incision. With a keen blade and a firm but gentle hand the seat will barely notice it has had invasive surgery; and with its new appendage it will look a real treat and be forever grateful, as will your back.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Colbee: Just read your post about the trepidation factor when it comes to cutting the seat. I'm sold on the Utopia for my '84 GL1200A and though I have not yet ordered the backrest, I'm already nervous about taking a sharp knife to my girl! I think I'll follow your instructions and wait for just the right moment!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

keener wrote:
Colbee: Just read your post about the trepidation factor when it comes to cutting the seat. I'm sold on the Utopia for my '84 GL1200A and though I have not yet ordered the backrest, I'm already nervous about taking a sharp knife to my girl! I think I'll follow your instructions and wait for just the right moment!
Stop worrying guys, I fitted my new Utopia this last weekend and it was simple, even for a plonker like me. There is a nice stick on piece that goes on the seat before it goes under the knife. I can tell that there is no chance of cutting wrong or of the cut opening up later. I am well pleased with the backrest, and the adjustment facilities allow you to get it just how yoiu might want it.

So go on guys, drag those dusty $$$$$ out of your wallets and place your orders. Utopia make ordering easy, but if you live on my side of the pond, just be aware that customs and excise will sting you for an extra £30+ import duty, as Utopia are very honest and declare properly.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dusty $$$? My wallet suffers erosion from the $$$ arriving and leaving so fast. Often they've left before the replacements arrive!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

exavid wrote:
Dusty $$$? My wallet suffers erosion from the $$$ arriving and leaving so fast. Often they've left before the replacements arrive!
Ah, so that is why you do the Senior Guru thing on the side is it, to make up the shortfall with a bit of moonlighting money, eh?

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
exavid wrote:
Ah, so that is why you do the Senior Guru thing on the side is it, to make up the shortfall with a bit of moonlighting money, eh?

Pete
Nah, I make my real money as president of the REDWING fan club!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Nah, I make my real money as president of the REDWING fan club!
You bloody yanks would make money selling snow at the North Pole. :realshocked:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.