Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The plug in the rear tire is bumped out a little bit. Should this be a concern for a rider? Should I cough up 300 for a new rear even though this one only has a 1000 miles on it/

Please advise.

Also the wobble at 40 mph has me wondering wtf...anybody have the wobbles???

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of reports of a front wheel wobble on decel if you take your hands off of the handle bars.

Check air pressure and wear of tire.

I only run tire plugs to get me to a tire change, but many on here say they run them all the time

I guess it comes down to "what do you feel comfortable with?"

Remember, it's your hide on the bike.:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

as far as the bump i wouldnt worry about it it will wear down as far as the wobble who knows whats really causing it

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I went through two rear tires this past year. First tire was fare wear and tear. Replaced it and ran an object over ruining a brand new tire with about thousand miles on it. Made me sick. Couldn't patch or plug because of location of damage. Replaced it and about 4000 miles into my second new tire I ran a nail over and puthole in it. I elected to plug this one as the hole was between the tread. I have ran it for about 3 months now and haven't experienced any air loss or problems. I was reluctant to do this but after a lot of talk about it on this forum I elected to go fro it. I don't think I would take a chance on a plugin afront tire though.

I inspect it on a normal basis to make sure the plug isn't coming out or I'm not experiencing air loss. So far all is well. I will continue to ride it until it's time to replace rear tire.

As for the wobble I found that on my GW it will develop this as the front tire wears down. You start getting cupping and this contributes to the wobble. Once I changed the front tire it went away.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

The thickness of a bike tire will not hold a plug. That is the reason no bike shop of tire repair store will fix one. It is not worth the risk to try and run one. Replace the tire.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have been running on a plugged rear tire since July. I picked up a sharp little stone (flint?) in the center of the tire. No choice at the time but to plug it. and it has been good so far.

You say that your tire has a "bump",,,,,,,, is it like a "bulge" in the tire itself??? If so, then it would concern me because that would mean a weak spot. I do check for anything of that nature on mine before I ride it.

I don't know what kind of tire you are running. But there are good tires out there well under $300.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

If you have a MC tire on the back I would replace the tire when you get the chance.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have run with tires that were very new and had to plug them........not crazy about it though.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

I personnaly would just keep going, find a tyre well under 300, man they are rubber not gold, and replace. It took me almost half a year to dig up the 60 dollar tire I have now but it is well worth it. Avon venom.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Rear tire plug, if it's in the center of the tire, just ride it. I have ridden plugged tires for many thousands of miles with no problems.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

currently have plug AND a nail in my Avon rear tire rode all summer that way,keep checking pressure, never fully trust it

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

There is a "bump" there because on installation it is impossible to cut the plug perfectly flush with the tire. Run it is my opinion. I have run tire plugs for thousands of miles. A friend of mine who is in the tire business and has ridden motorcycles for twenty plus years plugs motorcycle tires all the time.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I am using a nail for a plug right now. I would not plan any long trips with it ,but around the state I do not feel it is a problem. Having it does make you check on it more often and makes me think about it before I think about riding aggressive

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have ran with plugs, if done correctly, they will hold up well. For me, I won't let a plugged tire run down to bare however, I will change a little early. Peace of mind is worth it.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I had one rear tire with 3 repairs in it. Butthe third one was time to replace the tire anyway.

The first one was when the tire was brand new and it was a straight forward repair.

The second one came a couple thousand miles later.The third and last one was near the end of the tire life. I was down to about 3/32nds of tread left. I was going on a 3 day weekend trip that was estimated to be a little less than a thousand miles. I should have been able to complete the trip before I got flush with the wear bars. But late in the day on the first day I noticed that the tire was wearing much faster than it should have. But I didn't realize why.

The next morning I came out from the motel room and loaded up the bike and was getting ready to leave when I discovered I had a flat tire. I found a nail in the tire. I plugged it for the third time. But now I knew why the tire was wearing so quickly. I pumped it up and continued on my trip.

It was about another 500 or 600 miles to finish the trip.

When I got home, the tire was worn to the point that there weren't any tread gooves left in some spots, but it ran well the entire way.

So when I disposed of that tire there were 3 plugs in it.

I have run other rear tires with plugs in them too. I even had one front tire that I plugged.

They have all run well.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

[align=center]"...and then the friendly stranger shows up and says;
"The first one's free.'"

Ray Wylie Hubbard

[/align]
I'd have to call out for images here. I can tell a lot about things if I can see them.

Also... the brand of tire holds a good deal of influence with me. If you have a brand subject to belts de-laminating, I'd replace it.

On a Pilot GT, I have ridden plugs thousands and thousands of miles without issue. (Pilot GT's are out of production now. Gone forever!)

If you replace... what you replace it with... remains to be determined.

If you are a conservative traditionalist... you'll go with the Dunlop E3. That would be a "nice" and very "safe" choice.

However, there are other, less traditional choices...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

I'm just going to put a "tar" on my bike, to heck with it.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Get yourself a runflat car tire for the back rim.

The plug if done correctly will be fine, but should be a patch/plug inserted from the inside out. The outside/in plugs may be fine but can fail due to the thin nature of a motorcycle tire.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I picked up a nail on my FJR rear tire 3 weeks after buying it, had to plug it, the tire was too new to throw away. You twist the plug to make a "button" inside the tire before yanking the insert tool out. Put 5,000 miles on it - I did limit my top speed to 90 just in case, and did very regular pressure checks.
I'd never plug a front, unless it's just to get home.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.