Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the background to this post. I have a 1984 gl1200a. When I first picked it up, it needed a starter switch (the key switch on handle bars) and a timing belt (left side as if sitting on bike facing forward). Replaced both and everything started as it should. Had fairings and body pieces off to repaint. finished painting and put all together. Was idling in drive and ramping up and down. at 4600 rpm's, it shattered a valve in the number 2 cylinder (front left). Destroyed cylinder head and piston. Took engine out of frame and replaced piston, cylinder head (replacement came with valves, springs and all the internals) and gaskets. Put everything back into frame, set the timing and hooked everything up.
First thing to happen was the starter relay (switch between battery and starter) stopped working and had to bypass with a dead switch. Tried to start engine and all it does is Backfire, alternating between exhaust and carbs as to where it is back firing. Sounds like it is the left side only doing it. But will not start. Took apart front timing covers and reset timing from scratch, reassembled and still same problem.
So, what is the most like cause of this? I keep reading several different things on this forum, but where do I start to trouble shoot? What is most likely to least likely? I am dumbfounded as I can see nothing obvious that is causing this. Like I said, it ran fine before the valve went.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Can you take a pic and post it of the timing pullies lined up the way you think they should be? It sounds like something's not lined up right.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still searching but...

Well...spark plug wires correct, cams and gears correct. So far, found two gaskets on intake ports that were questionable...replaced both and a secondary air supply line going into the first cylinder with a crack in it, replaced it. Continued searching and found the PC Port vacuum line broken (how that got by me I don't know). Just getting ready to put back together and see what happens. If not, next step is taking off heads and inspecting valve and springs for anything...broken inner spring or not seating valves right/sticking open...hope the vacuum line and seals is it, though...will know shortly.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I doubt if those items are enough to make it not start. It comes to mind that when I've had 1200 heads off the restart on ass'y is usually really stubborn because the hydraulic lifters have bled down. Wonder if that could be your dilemna? Also it's probably gonna sound really bad when it does start until a short ride bleeds everything out. It's possible to pre-bleed the lifters by putting them in a small pan of oil and contracting and extending them until they bleed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.