Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From those that have driver's backrest, is it worth the expense/grief if installing? And if it is worth it, what is the best kind out there?

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be without one myself. It sure helps keep my back from hurting when riding for a long distance. Here is a picture of mine... you can see it is mounted by bolting the brackets therewith the passenger grab rails. I don't know who made it because it was on the bike when I bought it. They are common though because I have seen the same ones on a lot of 1500s. It is adjustable forward and backwards by loosening the knurled knobs on each side and sliding it where you want it.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,269 Posts
imported post

That is the same one I have.
Won't be without it. Will lean forward a bit for the pillion to get on.

Or, it will slide off in one minute if you need it off.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I have one just like Bellyboy40 and it is a back saver on long rides. I will never be without one again.

Installation time is about 10 minutes. Remove and install 4 seat bolts at the passenger grab handles to install. Then you can adjust the backrest to your comfort level or simply slide back and forth or take it all the way off if you don't want to use it. It also has a nice pouch behind the seat back for smaller items.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

I have the same one and find that if I do not use it I slouch more and have sore shoulders and tight lower back by the time I get there. So yes it is worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i dont have one, but i have installed a few like the one on the pic and it is pretty easy. i bet it is worth the money.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I have the same one as well (and a similar one on my 1200), and I never take it off either bike. It provides much needed lumbar support on long days in the saddle.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
imported post

I have the same one that came on my Wing and it is a Markland Industries. I sure miss a backrest when i drive my 750.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

have one could not imagine riding without it. no hassle fitting

you wont regret it

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

To: William_86. On some of your previous avatars I've seen the type of backrest you
have on your bike. That's more my style as well!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
imported post

What about passenger ingress/egress? I have considered a backrest but my wife gets on the drivers seat abd then slips up on to the back seat. She has short legs (think 'little teapot').

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering about getting on and of bike with thw backrest. I know it is more difficult to get on and off with a passenger in the back. Wilf

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Getting on and off isn't an issue with a backrest.

·
Pwhoever
3,131 Posts
imported post

Another option that is just as popular as the bolt-on is the Utopia backrest. It is a tad more expensive but eliminates the side rails. I have tried both and personnally preferred the Utopia. The bolt-on seemed too restrictive for me. It really wasn't too difficult to install. The hardest part was making a slice with a knife in the seat cover. I was worried about screwing it up and having the cut spread or having to do it a second time. But there is a permanent guide that sticks on where the cut is made making it very easy and it never spread like I was concerned about. And it is very adjustable...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I've got the same one in the pic, wouldn't be without it. Not hard to get on or off, you just have to lean over a bit more to get your leg over, no big deal.

As for passenger, my daughter's been on the back a couple of times, she's vertically challenged at 5'-4" or so and she's never complained.....Mike

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
imported post

+1 for a backrest. I rode an 11 hour day without it and was in pain for two days after. Recently I rode a 13+ hour day, DC to Chicago and was good to go with no pain at all the next day. I have the Utopia. It's on a hinge that makes it possible to tilt it forward, lowering the step-over height. No regrets with this product.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I have the same one as Bellboy40 and I love it. My only problem is that the knurled knobs to adjust front to back are corroded. Any one know where I can buy just those?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Get the backrest, you will never forgive yourself once you have tried it.

Mine came with the corbin seat, It mounts thru the actual seat with a 1/2 sq post, east remove, easy install.

When we ride two up, I do not installthe back rest as she is my back rest. (very comfortable) ;)

I am 6'5" with back issues all of my life, so I need all of the support I can get.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Jsalpha2, Several dealers sell the knobs. Cyclemax and Venco wings are just a couple. Good people at either place here.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I too have the Markland on my 1500. Works great for long solo trips, but due to my wife and I's size it's impossible to leave on when riding double. Very easy to install and remove though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.