Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm kind of undecided right now. This is the first bike that I've had with a backrest, and sometimes it feels too confining. It also makes my back sweat a lot, so I get a bit soggy after a few miles.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride very far with it yet (100 miles max so far).

Do they help with long rides?

Are they something that just take a while to get used to?

What do you guys think about them, especially on long trips?

:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't ride without it.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

x2.Wouldn't leave home without it.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I get the wet back also all summer long, but once the temps drop back into the 70's it's heaven. On cold March/April mornings it actually helps to keep me warmer. I wouldn't be with-out one on any ride over 100 miles. I believe mine is the Markland unit, and after adding a trunk relocation bracket Momma has plenty of room to fall asleep in... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Riding single, I wouldn't be without it. Have it on both bikes... wife hates it, gets in her way.. She won't ride with it on, so for 2-up it comes off... (when momma ain't happy... ain't nobody happy..)

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

love mine. I can't imagine riding again without one. Get some miles under your belt for a month or two, then remove it and ride. I thing you'll put it back on.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

Long rides, I won't leave the house without it. Short trips around town or to work, the back rest stays at home.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

The only time the back rest comes off the bike is when Momma is riding with me. Really makes a difference in comfort for me

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Mine stays on all the time.....

Momma won't ride with me yet but when she does it will come off, which is fine, I would want her as close to me as possible.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

I had 1 on my 83 and liked it but took it off to be recovered and really didn't miss it. Don't have 1 on the 1800 but do use a weight belt/back brace and find it is a good substitute and not in the way of a passenger.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

I very rarely ride with mine except for long solo trips. Otherwise makes it a little more difficult to dismount.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
imported post

Riding one up?
Won't leave home without it.

Double up?
I take it off because it isn't needed :)

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I agree with most, I like having mine. the 1000 had a mustang seat with a rest built in and the 1100 has a markland with I think a 1200 pad on it. I do have to remove it when Momma gets on (which she cant for a while now), when she's on I use her as the back rest.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

On my VTX I had a mustang with built in backrest, loved it, got to try an ultimate with built in backrest, LOVED IT, got my GL1500 and purchasd a bolt on backrest to go with the stock seat.... didn't really like it.... thought I needed to get used to it... nope still didn't like it, wife didn't like the mounting tubes hitting on her legs either, away they went. If I got an aftermarket seat with a built in backrest, I'm sure I'd probably like it again, but for me and the stock seat and the bolt on type backrest, didn't like it.

I think part of the issue was the seating position with a backrest (slightly more sporty and upright) vs the VTX (laid back and relaxed)...it felt like I was being pushed forward... and believe me I had it adjusted back :).

I'd agree with the majority that backrests are generally a nice luxury to have, specially for the longer trips... just this once instance didn't fit me the greatest... when I've got an extra grand or so to drop on an Ultimate, Corbin etc... then I'll have to chime back in LOL!
-Daniel

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

As said by everyone else, wouldn't go anywhere but local w/o it. Saves me back and shoulder pain. And a 100 mile trip is hardly a decent test of whether you'll like it or not.
Take a real trip with it then decide.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't leave home without one. Momma works good when she rides behind me.

As for the wet back, cover it [the backrest] with sheepskin, just don't use the rug with a rubber/plastic backing. The one sold for a pet rug is about the right size for a backrest and to sit on during long/hot days. Might can secure it with bungee cords if you do not want to sew it so it will slip on like a pillowcase. Does well in the bottom of the top box when not being sit upon.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.