Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with the Saddleman backset touring bag?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
I've never personally used one as when I toured, Wife was there ..... but I have seen them used and they hold "a lot" of stuff! Less weight and wiggling than many co-riders too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have one made by T-Bags and this one by Saddleman's looks even nicer! I really like the back seat bag because you can remove it quickly and carry it like luggage. The one I have has a built in rain cover that works real well. Can't remember what I paid for it but somewhere around $100 I think. If you're going to travel alone for long distance, the back seat bag is the way to go. Makes a good backrest if you don't have one too.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
I used a duffle bag on my Florida to Phoenix trip.
and it made a very nice backrest on that trip :)

But, as duffle bags have a habit of doing, they are a bit long and tend to get stuffed way full and mine ended up at 90 lbs.

That was okay, pretty light for a "passenger", but oh my when the ole girl went to sleep at a rest stop on soft downhill sloping gravel..... oof! that bike was way heavy trying to get her back upright again. I should have taken the bag off, uprighted the bike, and then put it back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used a number of small bag configurations, but after seeing the reviews of the DR4100 (4100 cubic inches) and way it lashes to the hold bars, I think I am sold.

I will be looking at one soon and hope to pick one up since I always travel solo.

I like the top loading and the unit ends up serving as a back rest and has straps on top lash in my camping chair and/or sleep pad. Looks like it would work just perfect for me. It will leave me ample room in saddle bags and trunk for the other stuff I carry.

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a Saddlemen BR-4100 Dresser backseat bag on Craigslist. Went and looked at it this morning and is in like new condition.

So, I now am the proud owner of very large backseat bag. Over 60 cubic liters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
When I was looking for a back seat bag, I was looking at the DR 4100 and the TS3200DE. In the end, I went with the 3200 so I wouldn't be too tempted to overload it and it also works better on my 1200 Standard. Good luck with the 4100. Either way, Saddlemen makes a dang good product.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
I've found that a "Carry-On" size soft suit case on the back seat stood vertically works perfectly for me, but it looks like the bag in question holds more stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree with you Brian...............bigger the bag, more crap you tend to load.

As I mentioned, have done trips using carry-on bag(s), waterproof bags, etc. I chose this bag for the bulky pack items like sleeping bag, tent, bike cover, cooking gear, etc. to give more room in saddlebags saving the trunk for food and water. With backpack strap, easy to carry around as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you guys are taking this "bag" thing way too seriously. This is all you have to do.
Now you're cookin...................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.