Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i have a '95 gl1500i that i think the altinator died on. it has 85,000 miles with (i asume) the original altinator. i went about 15 minutes to work last night & the radio cut out just a couple minutes before i got to the parking lot & then the bike stalled & wouldn't restart, just sounded like a relay clicking. when i came out to go home this morning the bike started with minimal issue & seamed to run fine so i headed home, but about 10 minutes into the ride the radio died again & a minute or 2 later so did the engine with just clicking again when i tried to restart. my battery is about a year old but it seams like it replenished while it was off so i figure i was running off battery power with no recharging. i also lost my running lights 2 days ago (which i figred was just a fuse that i was going to check today), but i don't know if that is a symptom or "safety" (to let you run farther before the battery goes dead) or a whole separate ploblem.

so for the 1500 gurus, am i on the right track?

were do i go now with trubleshooting?

is this something that i (a very inexperienced person) should/ couldattempt to fix myself?

do i go with stock or aftermarket replacement, cost/ reliability?

i wanted to ride today, not be figureing out how to get it the rest of the way home from work & going how long is it going to be down.

thanks,

Rich Lorenz (crazzyrman)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Throw a voltmeter across the battery terminals.
Start the bike (if it will).
You should see about 12.5 volts idling and high 13's when revving it.

This is assuming a stock bike with no special electrical loads added.

If the voltage does not act as described, you may either need an alternator rebuild, or have stuck brushes or need an alternator replaced.

Get the battery tested as well.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
imported post

Exactly as Rudy has stated. I recently had a similar experience. When I tested with volt meter I found Battery volts went down from 12.5v ( engine not running) to 11v with engine running. When stripped down the alternator had worn sliprings. I rebuilt the whole unit including a full wiring clean for £40 (a big saving on a new unit).

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

The 1500 will do even a little higher that the 12.5. Another test is measure battery voltage with bike off. Then start it. Voltage should jump up significantly. It also should tend to climb up. Bet yours goes down, down. Think you are on the right track. Good thing is it is an easy fix. Replace the rubber couplers while in there. Good luck.
PS, I have one for sale if you are interested. Off a 1999. One year on the rebuild.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

well i started at 12.5v off after putting it on a teder for a couple hours, started it & dropped to 12.0v & the longer i let it run at idlethe lower it went (slowly). acasionly i would hear the bike idle change & i would see about 0.5v increase, but it would drop back after a couple seconds. i decided at that point to just pull it & i took it up to my local auto mechanic to find out what it will cost to rebuild, he'll get me a quote on monday.

redwing52, how much for your's & shipping to union, nj 07083 if you can check easily.

ironically i'm planning to be out your way at the end of july for the oshkosh airshow, but i need the bike running asap were if it was my truck or jeep i would just let them sit until i got around to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.