Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was just checking my air tonight for a ride and lookey what I found!

YES, that is 7 different pics of different areas with cracks!
These are all the way around my tire. Notice in the first pic there was a wet line, that was where I marked so I would rotate 1 full turn.
This is my Rear tire, a Spitfire, and I bought it about May this year, only around 4,000 miles on it maybe 5,000.

My front tire I have not found anything like this yet, I looked and it looked fine, I will be looking again!

I will contact the place of purchase and hopefully they will replace the tire, we will see, and I will let you know what they say.

Anyone ever have a tire do this???

I been checking the air and it's been right where it should be, not been leaking.

Now I am certainly scared to ride this weekend! Looking close as I could I don't see any damage to cords, the ones I could see :shock:

I guess I am down for the weekend now, a week to get a replacement tire at least also.

chromo

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
imported post

I know someone who was going to ride that tire to Las Vegas a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Oh, and there is plenty of tread on the tire. The straight on angle of the camera makes it look like less tread than is really there.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I know someone who was going to ride that tire to Las Vegas a few weeks ago.
Yes, me too.
And I was still thinking about it, till I found this! :shock:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

Yikes. How old is the tire from the date stamp on the tire itself?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

thats my question too.... how old is it really some places stockpile them and have inventory for a few years or so

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I agree, that looks like real old stock. Rotten.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I'd definitely be interested to know the date code on that thing !!

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
imported post

I had asimular cut on my last rear tire. Just 1 cut that was about 3/8" long and kinda deep, but not leaking any air. As the tire was not that old the only thing I could figure out was it was cut by a piece of gravel or possibly glass...

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I will look for the code.
Is it a normal date on the sidewall or a code number that needs looked up?
Bike is at my shop, I did not ride it home tonight.

I'll have to go get it tonight or in the morning though, I don't want it sitting out in the open over there and no room to get it into the shop either.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Look on the side for a raised block with four digits; it's usually next to the U.S. DOT tire identification number. The first two indicate the week of its manufacture, and the last two are for the year.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
I had asimular cut on my last rear tire. Just 1 cut that was about 3/8" long and kinda deep, but not leaking any air. As the tire was not that old the only thing I could figure out was it was cut by a piece of gravel or possibly glass...
Could be yours was a cut on something if just 1.

However looking at how many cracks are shown in the pictures, and they are all in the same type area of the tires. Either left or right of the center tread in the shallow area. Also the pictures show the thicker tread area is all fine, no cuts or cracks in those.
I looked at my front tire, so far it looks fine but I'll take a better look tomorrow again.
Front tire has been everywhere the back tire has been for the last 3,000 miles LOL

Chromo

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I've learned that a quick tread glance ain't sufficient, when it comes to my rubber and my life. I now check my tires religiously, every day.... first, I put the bike up on the centerstand, and kneel down and spin the rear, looking at every tread pattern. If all okay, I move to the front, and by putting my butt against the headlight cowl, I can lean back and relieve enough pressure on the front to spin, or at least shuffle, the tire around with my hands, looking at every tread pattern. I've had two close calls riding long and hard on questionable rubber - it ain't a'gonna happen again.....

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

al tires will have this code if dot approved

last four digits week 51/ year 07

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Tread Groove Cracking is generally from a tire being overloaded.

Underinflated could be a possibility too, but since you keep the tire aired properly....

You're carrying some weight, ....ain'cha.
:)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

That quart of oil you had bungeed to the saddle bag did it!!!:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
That quart of oil you had bungeed to the saddle bag did it!!!:cheesygrin:
that darn oil keeps causing such issues.....get rid of it Chromo!! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Tread Groove Cracking is generally from a tire being overloaded.

Underinflated could be a possibility too, but since you keep the tire aired properly....

You're carrying some weight, ....ain'cha.
:)
Who, little ole me??
Na, I actually only weigh in at around 190-200 I think, been awhile since I checked but should be close.
And I only ride single :(

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

OK, the oil jug is gone now. I decided I use more gas than oil so thinking about a gal jug on each side instead of the oil quart on one side. I will be better balanced that way LOL

Oh, and I never really loaded down the bike with much for weight, the tent was not heavy and a couple blankets, and a bag of clothes. Allot less than riding 2 up would have been, and no trailer on it yet either.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

OK, Tire Dates.

I guess the rear is a PCK 4309, so 43 week of 09?
If so then not that old I guess since I got it new to me in April 2010.

Front looks fine just checked it again
PCD 4408, so 44 week of 08?

So I guess my front is about a year older than my rear?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.