Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently (4 days ago) purchased an 85 Limited Edition in excellent shape except that the battery will not hold a charge overnight. :(

When I checked the electrolyte, it was LOW. I added distilled water to all the cells and but it on 2amp charge. It ran fine the next day....but the day after that, when I went to start it in the morning, it wouldn't start. I charged at again for about an hour (charge said 'Fully Charged) and it started again.

Can anyone tell me if the battery is likely 'pooched' or could it be some thing else (stator???)????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Well, it could be the battery..............
These bikes suffer stator problems. Check you get about 14 volts across the battery with the engine at about 3000 revs. This will prove if it's charging. If not we need to check the stator output and various connection problems. Much is available from typing gl1200 stator into search on this sight.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Well, it could be the battery..............
These bikes suffer stator problems. Check you get about 14 volts across the battery with the engine at about 3000 revs. This will prove if it's charging. If not we need to check the stator output and various connection problems. Much is available from typing gl1200 stator into search on this sight.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Hope for a battery. Wal Mart can fix that.

Start the bike, and take your voltmeter, and tell us, at 3,000 RPM, what voltage do you see across the battery?

The stator has three yellow wires near the battery that come up from it, and into a connector, where it continues on into the wiring loom. What's the condition of that connector?

You've got some GL-1200 basics ahead of you :)

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Nice looking Wing. Just for the sake of reliable trouble-shooting, you're going to need aknown good battery. Get the maintenance free type with no vent tubes to drip acid onto your left-sideexhausts. ThatCOULD be all you need.

The biggest PITA of the 1200 series is the electrical charging system, and it's not an impossible task to remedy.

Welcome to the worlds best and friendliest Goldwing forum The folks here are honest and helpful, and there are very few,(if any), problems that you could face that some-one hasn't gotten through... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the battery to me. If it was run dry or left uncharged it may have sulphated the plates. My 1200 starts right up after sitting for a week or more. Charge the battery and check the voltage. Check it a day later and it should be the same.

It doesn't hurt to go over the stator and reg / rec as well.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Nice bike. I've got an 85 Interstate and I love it. I think the guys here would tell you to start simple like that battery. Can it and get a good one. Then get a good volt meter and check the voltage at the battery. I get 14.9 at idle after warmed up. These guys will also tell you to cut that stator plug out with the three yellow wires and solder them back together with some shrink wrap. That damn plug is problems. If you're charging like a million bucks, get a volt meter from CycleMax so you can monitor you charging system while your riding. Good peace of mind. The guys on this site have saved me a million times so don't be afraid to ask Q's.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Maybe it's a little too quick to call, but it seems the OP did a post-n-run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.