Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Bad Boy Air horn. Will it just hook up to exsisting connection when I remove the stock horn? Anyone ever installed on a 1500?

Wingrider59:praying:

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
If your got the compact one that looks similar to the Stebel, yes it hooks right up to the existing wires.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Does the Bad Boy have a relay built into the wiring? If not you will need to add one to the circuit. Otherwise it will be too much current for your horn button and will burn it out shortly.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
The bad boy should come with a relay. I know the one I bought did and on my 1100 I needed it to work.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I removed the left side pocket and side marker and hide mide in the hole using the original wire as a sigal to trigger the relay YOU ABSOLUTLY NEED A RELAY to trigger the bad boy's the air pump draws lots of Amp for a great job.....

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
yes you need a relay, and if you go to harbor freights website you can get the manual that comes with it..the two wires from the bikes wiring plug onto two of the relay posts ,then one goes to positive of horn, other goes to positive of battery on the bike...

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
A relay AND a fuse. Please do it right.
I left my stock horns in place and tapped into the horn wire to trigger the relay for the BadBoy horn.
EZ and effective mounting is to zip tie the horn to the radiator grille up front.
The BadBoy is definitely LOUD and will make soccer-mom drop her cell phone.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
A relay AND a fuse. Please do it right.
I left my stock horns in place and tapped into the horn wire to trigger the relay for the BadBoy horn.
EZ and effective mounting is to zip tie the horn to the radiator grille up front.
The BadBoy is definitely LOUD and will make soccer-mom drop her cell phone.
You are correct it does need an inline fuse also..good catch n sorry I forgot to add that! !

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
You can use the bikes wiring, no need for new wires. Just run them through the relay and on to the Bad Boy. The fuse for the existing horns usually works fine, but it won't do no harm to add a separate fuse.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
yes you need a relay, and if you go to harbor freights website you can get the manual that comes with it..the two wires from the bikes wiring plug onto two of the relay posts ,then one goes to positive of horn, other goes to positive of battery on the bike...
On mine I use the original wiring for a signal only leaving the amprage job to the relay not to the switch and I ran a good size wire and fuse since this sucker draw power for a good efficiency enjoy...:waving:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
:shock: That was simpler than sticking it in the fairing? I did mine in the right front fairing. VERY simple.

It was for me, as that space (and the others large enough to hold the horn) had already been filled with previously installed accessories, and I was too lazy to move them again...;)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I used a 20 amp fuse...;)
A 10A will do it until you double tap it the first time. I used a 15 but 20 is fine too if you have the wiring to support 20 amps.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
You can use the bikes wiring, no need for new wires. Just run them through the relay and on to the Bad Boy. The fuse for the existing horns usually works fine, but it won't do no harm to add a separate fuse.

The above will lead you to replacing the horn switch in short order... The Bad Boy comes with wiring instructions... Follow em... You will need a 12ga fused feed from the battery to the relay run the horn... The old horn wire is used only as a trigger to the relay...

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Right on, Ed!

The above will lead you to replacing the horn switch in short order... The Bad Boy comes with wiring instructions... Follow em... You will need a 12ga fused feed from the battery to the relay run the horn... The old horn wire is used only as a trigger to the relay...

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Nevermind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.