Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Riding my 85 GL1200 Aspythis afternoon. The bike only has about 36,100 miles on it. About8 miles out I had a sudden loss of power. It appears 2 cylinders dropped out, 1 on each side of the engine.RPMs were way down and no power. Just barely runningand you could smell unburned fuel.Pulled over to a vacant lot and started checking things out. Plugs all looked good.Tried to start it several times, it would runbut onlyon 2 cylinders.

After about an hour it started and ran fine,couple of miles down the road,happened again, lost 2 cylinders. Picked it up with a trailer and got it home. Guess what, runs fine. Warmed it up and put a couple of miles on it and purrs like a kitten. Ideas ?????

Sounds like a bad coil dropping off as it gets hot. Any other opinions or ideas?

Moose

Smokin' Moose Competition BBQ Team

AppleValley Minnesota

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

Sure sounds like a coil. It could also be a loose connection or damaged or corroded wire.

If you can finda coilcheap enough it wouldn't hurt to replace it. But I think it could also be a pulse generator. Intermittent is a bitch.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

try testing pulse generators, common problem failing with heat, cooling and run fine till warm again. not ruling out coil either as they to can fail when hot. gain access to coils and or pg's heat with hairdrier or heat gun try to duplicate failure, or you could swap coils and see if other cyl's fail:action::waving: good luck

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Pulse generators were replaced in July 2006, less than3000 miles ago. When the pulse generators started acting up, Engine would instantly shut down. No spark what so ever until it was ready to run.

In this case, I have a couple of cylinders firing which makes me think I am losing 1 coil. Maybe an ignition module but that would affect all 4 cylinders you would think.

I thinking of replacing both coils, They are both OEM which means 24 years old. Thanks for your ideas.

Moose

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

As was suggested above, I would swap the two coils and see if it shuts down the other two cylinders.........that would let you know for sure. Then, even if you replace both coils, you will know that was the problem

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

Swapping the coils like Plainmech and Sonny said is a good idea.

I did that with mine and found out they weren't the problem.

Is that 3000 miles since 7/06 a mis-print?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Nope, Shoulder surgery prevented any serious riding last year. less than 200 miles all summer:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.