Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1200 standards key is crapping out, I’ve tried to find one but so far no good. Question I’ve read where you add a switch to bypass all the crap in the headlite (where all electrics are stored) since my main line is in series with the key if I remove the battery Key voltage from the headlite and add a physical switch to the frame what happens to the other connectors lights turn signals etc anyone have any advice on this?

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
Good question not sure.
Yes it was, are you going to answer it? The key and the switch are 2 different things. If the key is giving you trouble have another one made, if it's the switch I'm sure we can work something out.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it was, are you going to answer it? The key and the switch are 2 different things. If the key is giving you trouble have another one made, if it's the switch I'm sure we can work something out.
I have the 84 1200 standard gw so not many parts available will try to figure which key or switch thx for the reply. The key is pretty worn so hopefully the key.

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
Maybe a better question is are you having trouble turning the key or you can turn the key and things won't come on like they should?

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
Do the lights go out too or just the engine dies?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,952 Posts
If that's a good number you should be able to have a new key cut.

However, the symptoms don't sound like the key is at fault. After everything shuts off, do the lights and such come back on if you wiggle the key or do you have to turn the ignition off and back on again?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that's a good number you should be able to have a new key cut.

However, the symptoms don't sound like the key is at fault. After everything shuts off, do the lights and such come back on if you wiggle the key or do you have to turn the ignition off and back on again?
Off then on.

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,952 Posts
If all else fails, you can take a chance on this.

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If all else fails, you can take a chance on this.

The problem is the 1200 standard standard has two wire bundles coming from the switch not very common plus two connectors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts