Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned the key off on my 92 gl1500 and the lights stayed on. Start button didn't work with key off. I had to disconnect the battery to kill the power. I'm thinking bad ignition switch.
How hard is it to replace? :frown2:

·
Administrator
25,741 Posts
It may be the #3 relay sticking.

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
Check the relay like Dave says. If you end up needing one I've got one available with locks & keys. PM me if interested.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Not hard really time consuming more than anything.

From ALEX BERECZKY thanks again Alex!

1) Remove the front housing (eg the Front fairing and dash)
2) Hammer a Chisel into each of the two bolts holding the ignition switch, then usal the chisal to Turn (eg Unscrew) the bolt --The bolts are the "anti-theft" type, hence this unusual method of removal.
3) Replace with new bolts... I believe they come with hex-heads, that snap off after reaching the proper torque. Myself, I'd just use normal socket head allen bolts.

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
25,741 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
Notice you pull a trailer. Any hot wires in the plug for some reason that might short to other wires???????

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notice you pull a trailer. Any hot wires in the plug for some reason that might short to other wires???????
I had my Escapade trailer hooked up.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Ignition Switch

Which lights stayed on.? Was it head lights or other lights..?

Would make a difference regarding the relay # 3.

I turned the key off on my 92 gl1500 and the lights stayed on. Start button didn't work with key off. I had to disconnect the battery to kill the power. I'm thinking bad ignition switch.
How hard is it to replace? :frown2:

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Headlights, tail lights, dash lights. side stand light. oil pressure light.

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
While you have the #3 relay out use a test light to check for power . Again with the relay removed probe the socket terminals (holes) for power. Only one should have power with the key off. Two should have power with the key on. If you have power with the key off on more than one terminal it might well be the ignition switch. Don't jump right to that just yet as it is a fairly difficult job. Check back for more help.

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the upper right corner of the fuse box behind the saddlebag, hard to get to.
It was relay #3. The relay was partly melted on the side of the relay. I had to buy a Honda one at $41.00. But I'll be ordering a few from the admin to have a couple on hand for my Brother & I.

Thanks to everyone for the help, advice & suggestions.
I'm back on the road again!!
:jumper:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Davek, I am very interested to know how a bad relay # 3 was causing your head lights to be ON with the ignition switch OFF.

Relay # 3 is not in the head light circuit.

You did say your head lights were ON with the ignition switch OFF.....Right....???

It was relay #3. The relay was partly melted on the side of the relay. I had to buy a Honda one at $41.00. But I'll be ordering a few from the admin to have a couple on hand for my Brother & I.

Thanks to everyone for the help, advice & suggestions.
I'm back on the road again!!
:jumper:

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,377 Posts
Davek, I am very interested to know how a bad relay # 3 was causing your head lights to be ON with the ignition switch OFF.

Relay # 3 is not in the head light circuit.

You did say your head lights were ON with the ignition switch OFF.....Right....???
One explanation for this could be; since the pins melted, inside the relay two pins (hot always and hot in on) probably made a contact with each other.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I don't understand your thinking. Read my post again. Relay # 3 does not provide power to the head lights (even when it is activated). The head lights are powered by relays # 4 and # 8. They are triggered by the dimmer switch.

One explanation for this could be; since the pins melted, inside the relay two pins (hot always and hot in on) probably made a contact with each other.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.