Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

After reading all the topic 'bout mileagehere's mine 12/13 km/l = (correct me if i'm wrong)+/- 27 mpg. This is insane!!!!. Now i'm reading something about cutoff valves but i can't find any on my trottle body (84 Int, non CA emission). Whats wrong.

Any suggestions?????

greetings Chris

ps. carbs have been sonar cleaned by bike store

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Try a search under fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

A properly tuned and set up 1200 should give between 39 and 45 mpg, depending on how hard you push the throttle. If the carbs have been sonic cleaned and ALL the tiny ports & holes thoughroly washed & blown out, then all that is left is to set the pilot screws and balance the carbs.. #4 is the base carb and cannot be balanced, but all the carbs have an adjustable pilot screw..

Very important tip... The pilot screws have a tiny "o" ring, flat washer & spring which are part of the assembly.. If they are missing or installe backwards, you will not be able to properly set the mixture.

Also, new plugs should be installed & gapped and while you're at it, inspect the plug wires for spark leakage to ground. You can quicly test the voltage at the plug by removing any of the plugs, one at a time, start the engine and look for a bright orange to blue spark.

If all these things are in place, inspect the engine vacuum hoses for cracks and breakage. The last thing would be to pull the intake plenum and inspect the cut-off valves and anti backfire valves... Everything should be tight and clean.. Replace the air filter and fuel filter...

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

@ dean_3326: Have done before asking, didn't get a satisfying answer out of the posts.

@ renegade: new sparkplugs, air, fueland oilfilter and timing belts already installed. I've got no cutoff valve at all on my bike, stays only to balance the carbs right?

greetz Chris

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Buzz_4stroke wrote:
@ dean_3326: Have done before asking, didn't get a satisfying answer out of the posts.

@ renegade: new sparkplugs, air, fueland oilfilter and timing belts already installed. I've got no cutoff valve at all on my bike, stays only to balance the carbs right?

greetz Chris
Buzz_4stroke, I bought a 84 interstate with carb problems, the fuel tank had rusted and the carbs were full of rust and crud. After the tank was repaired,Three shops including two honda dealers had worked on the carbs before I bought it, it still was only getting 27mpg, I took the carbs apart myself, cleaned them as best I could , adjusted the floats, and still got 27 mpg, so I decided to stop the madness and just replace the carbs, I bought a known good working set off a 87, I still took the 87 carbs apart cleaned them and reset the floats and for the last 4000 miles I have been getting very good mileage, with 2 riders I get 45 mpg and better.I think getting all the small passage ways and ports truly clean is the key. For a little over $100 I solved my problem.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

we're that carbs with emission and an cutoff valve or is the setup the same as your 84 carbs. Are the main jets smaller??? questions, questions, questions......

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Buzz_4stroke wrote:
we're that carbs with emission and an cutoff valve or is the setup the same as your 84 carbs. Are the main jets smaller??? questions, questions, questions......
Setup is the same, the 87 carbs had all the same connections, the slow air cutoff valve on 84 is smaller but that doesn't matter as far as performance and the main jets in the 84 were 108 the 87 is 105,.I had no problem putting the 87s on my 84.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Dean.. You are correct.. if all the carbs are balanced, the mileage should improve unless you have a metering problem.. If the holes are blocked, the vacuum demand changes and the carbs will deliver UNMETERED fuel into the engine.. This can be a lean or rich mixture... It all depends on which ports are blocked... Even though the carbs were "cleaned", it is critical that ALL the parts be inspected thoughroly before assembly.. then, the pilot screw and balance adjustments will fall into place.. Don't expect more than approximately 35 to 45mpg on an 84.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Buzz_4stroke wrote:
Hi all,

After reading all the topic 'bout mileagehere's mine 12/13 km/l = (correct me if i'm wrong)+/- 27 mpg. This is insane!!!!. Now i'm reading something about cutoff valves but i can't find any on my trottle body (84 Int, non CA emission). Whats wrong.

Any suggestions?????

greetings Chris

ps. carbs have been sonar cleaned by bike store
Chris, the cut-off VALVE (one only) is up under the bottom of the intake manifold box (you can't get to it without pulling the intake box & carbs out).. Those cut-off valves have a rubber diaphragm in them & tend to get hard & stiffen up with age so become rather lazy, or inactive, or don't function at the correct vacuum.. The cut-off valve function can be checked with it in the bike with a hand vacuum pump like a My-Ty-Vac..

That cut-off valve is normally open & shuts off the bleedair to the pilot jet circuits of all the carbs at something above 16" -16.6" of vacuum (coast/decel).. When the bleed air is shut off it richens the pilot circuit to eliminate exhaust backfires when decelerating.

Other things to check are that the vacuum advance hose to the ign module is hooked up & functioning & that the 4th/5th gear transswitch is workingcorrectly soit tells the ign box to use the vacuum input.

Also look for a plugged air cleaner or failing check valves in the pulse air system (that would allow exhaust gas to be pulled into the intake)

Look for a dragging front or rear brake (kind of common on the old Wings)..

Check the pilot jet needle settings (either do a proper idle drop or at least see that none are out more than 3 to 3-1/2 turns from seated.

Carb balance can have some effect but unless grossly out of whack probably not a lot on highway fuel economy.

High carb float levels can have a devastating effect on overall fuel economy so make darn sure those are set correctly.

Late of mis-timed cam belts can also effect fuel mileage..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It's all clear to me now about the cutoff valve. But i've got no one!!!. My intake manifold box has 5 holes. one off the air filter and four to the carbs. no cutoff valve, no emission box, no little pipes to the headers, nothing. So ifI want to improve the mpg I only have to balance the carbs, and check the floats

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Something is not right here.. There are no hoses & valves under the intake manifold??? All of those parts are an integral part of the fuel delivery system and account for emmission control as well as fuel metering. That is probably why you are not getting good gas mileage..

Check around on the web for these parts and install them. You'll be happy you did..

We've got pictures of how to route the vacuum hoses and where the valve should sit.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Grrrrrr,

Don't think that people with less posts, have no knowledge of a goldwing. I've bought this 84 goldwing as a no-runner. Teared the engine away under the bike to replace the (broken) pin in the pulse-gen axle.

I don't have emission control or any extra wires,hoses and steel lines under my manifold box. The aren't even holes in that thing for such pupose and have got it upside down in front of my own two f#$%#*g eyes.....:X

Sorry gonna cool down first........ (hope made my point)

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Buzz_4stroke wrote:
Grrrrrr,

Don't think that people with less posts, have no knowledge of a goldwing. I've bought this 84 goldwing as a no-runner. Teared the engine away under the bike to replace the (broken) pin in the pulse-gen axle.

I don't have emission control or any extra wires,hoses and steel lines under my manifold box. The aren't even holes in that thing for such pupose and have got it upside down in front of my own two f#$%#*g eyes.....:X

Sorry gonna cool down first........ (hope made my point)

Chris
Chris, it sounds like maybe early on Honda exported bikes without emission control devices. I'm surprised that you don't have a cut-off valve though as that was more for decel (over-run) exhaust popping than emission control.

In any case, if you don't have a cut-off valve in the intake manifold or each carb doesn't have an internal cut-off valve in it's side, MAKE SURE your carb pilot jet air bleed circuits have access to external air. If any part of your pilot jet air supply is blocked off with a hose cap or dirt it will richen the pilot jet circuit & cause very poor fuel economy.

You might try to locate a service manual on your export bike to see how the pilot jet air bleed circuit gets it's air supply.

One thing- If you can adjust out the idle needles to get a good idle at from 1 to 3 turns out from seated you probably don't have a plugged pilot jet air intake.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Maybe you could post a picture so we can see what you have.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

:doh:dust in my eyes.......

Looked for the cut-off valve on the back of the manifold.......... but it is on the front.... Apology to you all... How can i test it????

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Buzz_4stroke wrote:
:doh:dust in my eyes.......

Looked for the cut-off valve on the back of the manifold.......... but it is on the front.... Apology to you all... How can i test it????
Buzz_4stroke, the procedure is pretty long to type here.. Basically you need a hand vacuum pump (like a My-Ty-Vac).. You need to apply vacuum to the smaller vacuum hose going to the cut-off valve, then either use a 2nd vacuum pump or your mouth & see at what vacuum the valve will pass or stop the air flow through the larger hose(s) coming from the valve.. It's a bugger to do with the valve still in the bike. I think the vacuumto close the valve is somewhere around 16" to 16.5 " of vacuum..

Give me an E-Mail at [email protected]& I will send you the testing pages from the service manual by return E-mail (that will be later tonight as I don't have the manual handy here now)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Buzz... We understand your frustration.. BELIEVE me... all of us have been there..Can you imagine OUR frustration when sincerely trying to help Wingers all the time, from all parts of the globe. We deal with language barriers, re-builds, basket cases, terminology, no pictures,,,,,,, The list goes on and on..

Our goal here is to show-case the best GoldWing site on the web by assisting thousands of people every day, work thru their issues. We are sincere, honest, experienced and humorous at times. Please don't feel offended at some of the questions we ask, or the context in which we ask them.. We only want to help. You won't find more dedicated Wingers anywhere...

Just do your best to keep Redwing at bay... He rides the fastest GW in the world and refuses to talk about it...LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.