Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From a friend, passed on to you. I like what he says about group passing, in the last paragraph...

----

You all probably heard about the two people from Fresno, CA, who were hurt on Hiway 26 just west of Madras on Monday, July 18. Here are the details: Bill & Anna Lopez were riding with a group of other motorcycles when a minivan passed the group. Bill & Anna were in thelead of the m/c group. During the passing, the driver of the minivan saw another motorcycle headedin the oncoming lanetoward her. She panicked and cut in very close to Bill & Anna.

But the accident happened b/c the minivan driver also slammed on her brakes in front of Bill & Anna. When Bill also tried to clamp down on his brakes to prevent rear-ending the minivan, he lost control of his bike. Bill & Anna never hit the minivan, but they tumbled at hiway speed. Bill was airlifted to St. Charles and Anna was ambulanced to the same hospital. Bill has had surgery andis in room 534 while Anna is in room 431 as of yesterday, Thursday. They have grown sons in Portland who are nowin Bend, tending to Bill & Anna, as arethe rest of their riding group. I hear they will both be OK.

It seems that we motorcyclists need to watch out for cagers at intersections, the oncoming lanes, behind us at lights,andnow the vehicles that are passing us. That means we need to observe vehicles from all directions. If a passing vehicle seems to be slowing down too much after passing you,head toward the emergency lane if possible.

Plus, remember to be decisive when you are passing, especially when ridingin a group. Maintain passing speed until wellout in front ofthe vehicle being passed. Do notease off the throttle until the last member of your group has successfully completed the pass. If you throttle down too early, your followers won't have enough space to re-enterthe lane, creating a dangerous situation.

So,say some prayers for Bill & Anna, and ride safely. Have a glorious weekend.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the update Steve. Glad those folks are going to be OK and that they have family close at hand.

Good advice on the group passing. I've only been on a few group rides (of more than 3 bikes), but that is something that should be a part of the pre-ride briefing.

I tend to allow more than a two-second spacing, especially when I'm with a group that I'm not familiar with, and that little policy of mine has saved my butt a few times. The meetings over eats and coffee are great, but sometimes I wish it could be done without having to ride in groups :ssshh:

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Excelent advise and wishing a speedy recovery. As a matter of habit when I pass, in a car, truck or on the bike, I maintain a steady passing speed until I am well ahead of the passed vehicle unless something prevents this. (a car coming out of a drive or something like this, unforseen) Happens.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Firstly, I'm glad to hear they are going to survive to ride again. It's been my experience and impression that riding in groups of over four motorcycles is a dangerous proposition. Riding in a formation of multiple bikes in my experience increases the likelyhood of a mishap. Too many machines too close together with too much going on. I've seen it happen several times. I joined the GWRRA early in this century and took one group ride and decided it wasn't for me. Too many machines moving too close together driven by good people who were simply not Navy Blue Angels pilots.
Group rides are probably fun but based on my experience, I avoid them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.