Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, My 84 1200 Aspencadehas been running very rough - it has been in shop for three weeks.Dealer replaced back coil and then found that the pulsar coil is also bad. Service dept. at dealer said part is discontinued. Said they could try to find a used one but would be no guarantee if it would work. But it is very labor intensive to replace it since it on back of motor.They said left lifter is also starting to fail. They suggested I ride bike until it completly dies. Cannot trade or sell bikein this condition to get any decent money out of it. I looked on E-bay forpart - no luck yet. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks, Patrick :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

psdevlin wrote:
They suggested I ride bike until it completly dies. Cannot trade or sell bikein this condition to get any decent money out of it. I looked on E-bay forpart - no luck yet. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks, Patrick :baffled:
Check out the salvage yards on the Internet. There are several listed at the top of the forum. You might also check for a used engine, they go fairly cheaply.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The lifter problemmay simply be dirt in the oiling system under the cam holder. Have a look at this to see where dirt can accumulate and cause noisy lifters;

http://venwish.com/tappet.html

Check the resistance (with a high quality VOM) of the pulsars and see if they compare, if they do there may be a problem elsewhere because normally pulsars ( or pulse generators as I call them) just seem to act up (kill the engine)when the engine gets hot and allow the engine to run again when cold.

If it were my Wing I'd be looking more closely at the spark plug wire resistors and the carb cleanliness andcarb synchroniztion for your rough running problems.

Vic

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

So far my engine has never cut off - Bike just runs really rough. When dealer changed coil he said it was cracked and looked like it had gotten very hot. After he borrowed some special test equipment is when he told me Pulsar coil is bad. He tested to make sure it wasn't the computer. He seems to think the pulsar coil is failing, which in turn caused the coil to go bad. I Dunno?? I have never really worked on bikes before. I will possibly get a second opinion from another mechanic. What should the resistance be from the pulsars?

Thanks, Patrick

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I had a pulsar coil go bad on my cx500... and as you said they start running rough when it happens... I messed with the carbs a lot thinking that was the problem. why do they go bad????? One might as well ask why "s**t happens". Don't know, but they do

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

psdevlin wrote:
So far my engine has never cut off - Bike just runs really rough. When dealer changed coil he said it was cracked and looked like it had gotten very hot. After he borrowed some special test equipment is when he told me Pulsar coil is bad. He tested to make sure it wasn't the computer. He seems to think the pulsar coil is failing, which in turn caused the coil to go bad. I Dunno?? I have never really worked on bikes before. I will possibly get a second opinion from another mechanic. What should the resistance be from the pulsars?

Thanks, Patrick
It might be best if you had another mechanic give you a secondopinion. It is very difficult to diagnose something like this on the internet and we may just confuse you more with conflicting opinions on the problem.Carb and ignition problems can be so very much alike and it takes a lot of quality troubleshooting to diagnose accurately. We could walk you through some steps to help the diagnosys, but, you really need to know what you're doing to get it done right.The resistance of the pulse generators should be between1,100-1,300 ohms at 68 degrees Farenheit.

If you can give us more precise detail on how it runs roughand when, we might be able to help a little more. Such as, does it run rough when cold or just hot? Does the choke make any difference in the way it runs? Is it just rough at idle or when accelerating also, etc, etc?

Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.