Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I grab the front brake, the lever is rough and "catchy" for lack of a better term. You can feel the bike jump with the catchyness of the lever. The rear brake pedal doesnt do it at all. Both seem to stop the bike fine. I am thinking since the right front and the rear are linked, the left front is the culprit. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, what are the steps to fixing it? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
When I grab the front brake, the lever is rough and "catchy" for lack of a better term. You can feel the bike jump with the catchyness of the lever. The rear brake pedal doesnt do it at all. Both seem to stop the bike fine. I am thinking since the right front and the rear are linked, the left front is the culprit. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, what are the steps to fixing it? Thanks in advance...
You are correct that the front brake lever only applies braking to the left front caliper.

You say when I "grab" the front brake, does it do the same when you pull the front brake lever gradually? Usually folks only "grab" the front brake lever in a panic stop situation.

If it reacts the same with gradual braking, I would recommend checking the front brake caliper. Two possible areas of concern would be the slider pins and the pistons in the caliper. The caliper may not be sliding (floating) on the pins as freely as it should. The pistons may not be sliding (in and out) of the bore as freely as they should.

They may need to be cleaned and lubed. After cleaning, apply silicone lube to the pins and brake fluid to the pistons and bores.

Also check for any other possible problems with the caliper.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

gradually is when I notice the "jumpyness" of the bike. You can definitely tell its in the front, by the way the forks react. I bought a brake bleeder kit the other day. I'll take a look at it when I am in there.

Like about every other topic on this great forum, I was thinking someone probably just went through this over the weekend and has some extra pointers :D

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
Is it kind of a pulsing sensation? Could be a bent/warped rotor.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Bish wrote:
Is it kind of a pulsing sensation? Could be a bent/warped rotor.
The more I think about it, the more I think it is a sticky caliper. I know what it feels like in a car with a warped rotor, it doesnt seem to act like that. As I apply the front brake, the harder I pull, it seems to release the stickyness and it applies the brakes like they should. I pull harder, it kinda "clicks" again and applies the brakes harder, and on and on. Its not smooth like it was a week ago. I went on a 500 mile run to our state rally over the weekend and it sat outside two nights under my bike cover. It may be mad at me for not having it in the garage :D

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

It is most likelynot a sticky caliper..( if that were the case, it most likely would not release either, and be dragging....)

I think you will find that the culprit is the front master cylinder.. It probably doesn't need any parts, just a cleaning and lubrication (at least that was the case with mine).. I havefound that the plungergets dry and corroded on the outside and sort of bumps it way in.. out (by itself) is much smother..

dissassemble.. clean.. lube the outside (under the boot) and the clutch pin with some silicone grease and you'll be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
It is most likelynot a sticky caliper..( if that were the case, it most likely would not release either, and be dragging....)

I think you will find that the culprit is the front master cylinder.. It probably doesn't need any parts, just a cleaning and lubrication (at least that was the case with mine).. I havefound that the plungergets dry and corroded on the outside and sort of bumps it way in.. out (by itself) is much smother..

dissassemble.. clean.. lube the outside (under the boot) and the clutch pin with some silicone grease and you'll be good to go.
Interesting, I'll have to run out and check that out before I start taking apart plastic.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,279 Posts
imported post

My brakes were doing that with EBC pads. Went back to stock and all was good. Ended up using the EBC pads on the rear wherethey don't react the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.