Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a honda gl1000 1976. i am having problems with mytemp guage when I startthe bike the guage goes to hot almostat once but the motor does not seem to be hot.after the bikehas runfor a little bit it starts to drop to normalI have already changed the temp sending switch and the thermostat and it is good the fan does not come on for at least ten minutes at idle.any ideas?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Website on the 'Net, Highroller!:waving::waving:

I'm not all that familiar with the GL1000 but I believe the gauge sending unit is the one mounted near the water pump on the front of the engine pretty much the same as the 1200.

Hot in the gauge means that the resistance in the circuit is low, sender resistance drops with increasing temperature. Since you've changed the sender it sounds like you might have a short in the wiring between the gauge and the sender.

If you have an ohmmeter handy try putting it across your old sender and dipping the business end of the sender into cold water and then in hot, not quite boiling, and see what the resistance change is. If you were to compare the readings between the new and old sender you could eliminate one or neither as a source of the problem.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A faulty voltage stabiliser might do this as well, although I'd expect the fuel gauge to go wonky at the same time as the VS controls both. If only the temp gauge is affected and you did fit a new temp switch (as opposed to a new fan switch) then the gauge itself might be suspect.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
A faulty voltage stabiliser might do this as well, although I'd expect the fuel gauge to go wonky at the same time as the VS controls both. If only the temp gauge is affected and you did fit a new temp switch (as opposed to a new fan switch) then the gauge itself might be suspect.
You're right englishted, I'd suspect the gauge too once I checked out the wiring. I just checked my bike, if you pull the wire off the sender the gauge will drop to cold. If the fuel gauge works okay, I'd agree the voltage applied to the gauges is okay. But if this problem is happening with a full fuel tank you might not see a change in the fuel gauge since it's already heading for full. If the fuel gauge reads right with a low fuel level in the tank then we can assume the voltage applied to the gauges is okay.

I wonder if you are seeing normal heating which comes up quickly until the thermostat opens after which you will see a temperature drop until the engine stabilizes. Going more than half scale seems a bit high before things drop off seems a bit much. Are you sure you have the right temp thermostat and that it's not in backwards? One check you could do is to take out the thermostat and see if you still got the same results. With it out you should see a rather slow heating up to normal temps. The bike might not want to run as well because of the slow heating, but it would eliminate the gauge and sender.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey guys thanks for the input. My fuel gauge does not work. I will try checking with an ohm meter. The thermostat I checked and it seems to open at about 175 degrees F.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.