Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have just purchased a 1999 1500SE with 20,500 miles on it with new tires. I noticed a bump on the front end at very slow speeds. At higher speeds, I noticed a sound like there is some vibration coming from the tire. I put Dyna Beads in to see if this would help. It didn't. I looked at the tire today and looks like it is cupping. What would cause this? Also what can be done about it other than buying a new tire?

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

It could be a bad tire or the tire may not be seated on the rim. Look carefully around the edge of the rim, there should be a molded ridge on the tire visible all the way around both sides. If that looks good then rub your hand around the tire and feel for a lump or depression.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I examined the tire and it is cupped. I can see it without feeling the tire. Does this mean that I have to replace the tire? Also, what would cause it to cup?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi micky under inflation is the common cause on the 1500 should be 38in the front and 42 in the rear by the way what make tyres are on the bike could be just a cheap set the PO installed to sell the bike old story you get what you pay for and welcome to the forum

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cupping normally doesn't make much noise or vibration when riding straight but shows up as a buzz and/or vibration on curves when the bike is banked. If you're feeling a 'bump' on the front tire I'd put the bike on the center stand and jack up the front of the engine enough to get the front wheel off the ground. Spin the tire and watch for out of round or a bulge. If you see either it would be a good time to replace the front tire. Due to the seriousness of a front tire failure one needs to be very careful that the one they are riding on is safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.