Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi all out there,i hope one of you good people out there can help.i have a 1986 1200 interstate,with 55,000 miles on her:just run in then:but there is a nasty vibration in the 2000to 2500 rpm range not noticeable reving thru it but on the way down ,it does it when on the road or on the stand.the vibration seems to come from the starter motor area or stator area,have had a few ideas from others like should have bought a 1500 or an 1800 big help.it runs like dream apart from this some one said the starter springs and bearings could be suspect,is the starter permantley engaged,if any one can help it will be much appreciated,and to all the people who welcomed me as new member,thank you for taking the time to send me a msg geoff.y:?

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

The first and easiest thing to check is remove the plug at the rear of the stator and see that the bolt is tight.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

thanks for that dave will try in the morning if i am not being a taxi service to my girls. geoff.y

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know what starter springs some one was referring too. None that I know of. The starter overrunning clutch doesn't have any bearings it does have three rollers that are thrown out to lock up the clutch when the starter spins the starter sprocket. It is possible, not likely, but possible for the clutch to get locked up and not release which would spin the starter when the engine was running but I doubt that's your problem because the starte would likely fail pretty soon if it was spinning that fast for any length of time. It might not be something on the engine at all, you might want to check all the motor mounts and the subframe bolts for tightness. Does it do the same thing on thecenter stand in neutral and with the transmission engaged?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

When you say "not noticeable revving through it"- do you mean in neutral or under hard acceleration on the road. Mine was always vibey when pulling through the rev zone you mention and I've read road tests of brand new machines where they complained of the same thing. No amount of carb syncing helped with mine.....Steve

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

hi dave exavid and steve thanks for the prompt replys,the stator bolt was loose,got about another full turn on it.have started checking all nuts and bolts on her now and found a lot need tightening,it has smoothed out some,so perhaps as steve said i might have to put up with a bit of fairing rattle in that rev range when the vibes kick in but will check the fiaring brackets etc at the weekend.so thanks again and will keep you informed as i go along..geoff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.