Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Tried removing the baffles on my 86 Interstate and they are rusted in tight.

I didn't want to beat them to death in order to get them out. Tried tapping them in with no luck and even tried the threaded rod trick suggested in another thread.

Has anyone ever tried drilling holes in the baffles to increase the sound output? I remember doing that on another bike, as a kid, (looong time ago) and it produced a nice result.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Why, why, why...

Gold Wings are supposed to be quiet motorcycles.

Loud pipes piss off your neighbors.

They also are a cause of premature hearing loss.

Keep it quiet and stay friends with your neighbors, governmental lobbying costs may not go up as fast.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Rather then actually making the exhaust louder. Maybe you could get a tape of a harley and just play it loud. That ought to confuse them. My first big bike was a 71 honda 750 4. It had 4 into 1 headers. When I backed off the gas if would pop like crazy sounded like a hot rod. I Don't think I want my new wing to sound like that today but it sure was cool back then.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Drilling them will work, I've seen it done. I'm just surprised your pipes didn't fall of as they usually rot from the inside and fall apart at the slightest tap.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I'm with Tony on this issue. Take it from personal experience, quieter is better! I've gone from a set of Jardine slip-ons to a stock set-up with the tailpipe baffles removed and now back to a new factory set at a cost of $700 Cdn. to have peace and quiet. She still sounds like a motorcycle and runs like Mother Honda intended.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hello,

I drilled out the 2 rivets on each muffler onmy 1984 GL1200I with 45,000 miles. I tried to hammer on the center pipe only bending it with no movement.I found a 27mm deep socket,held it around the center pipe to contact the body of the baffle. After a few hits with my trusty 4# sledge hammer the baffleslid in 1/4" or so. I then attached my vise grip to the wall of the center pipeand hit the vise grip with the sledge hammer a dozen times. The baffle came out, and looks reusable.

I don't consider the sound that much louder, but it has a nicer rumble. I didn't wear my hearing aids for either the beforeor after tests.

Regards, Bob Rust Albuquerque :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.