Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought that I would have better luck staying alive, by staying on the bike, and controlling where I go....

this guy, decided to leave the bike and go sliding instead.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
Those guys take high speed get offs as part of the job.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Any bets on whether or not this leads to a lot of "I had to lay 'er down" incidents,...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any bets on whether or not this leads to a lot of "I had to lay 'er down" incidents,...
My thoughts exactly.

How can you control "where you slide" if you lay it down?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Controlled environment, lots of runoff room, gravel decel pits, air barriers, full protective gear, trained to "exit the vehicle"...the GP rider did the right thing.

Highway with guard rails, pot holes, cars, trucks, zero runout room, and this is your first motorcycle accident...ride the bike all the way to impact. You have more control, and will slow the bike (and your body) more on it than sliding.

Fairly recently a friend of a friend "layed it down to avoid an accident". They went through a debris field from a pickup and trailer side swiping a semi at 70mph. He separated from the bike, but his girlfriend was still on it when the bike high sided. Her head met the pavement and die at the scene.

If he had kept the bike upright he most likely would have been able to slow enough that the impact would not have been fatal.

Given the choice between maintaining control of the bike all the way to impact, or trusting to wild luck...my hands are on the bars all the way.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
One of the Maxim's when I teach driving- never stop driving. If it's moving, you're doing something to try and improve the situation.
That's street driving (police pursuit), not track.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the Maxim's when I teach driving- never stop driving. If it's moving, you're doing something to try and improve the situation.
That's street driving (police pursuit), not track.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Your avocation is a very good one.

I saw a story yesterday or the day before about a very nice family man with so much to live for, that purposely drove straight into a " Head on Collision" with a Drunk Driver going the wrong way on a heavily congested highway during rush hour.

the DUI did not have a seat belt on and passed away really fast.
the officer is struggling to live through the incident.

No Pit Maneuvers possible in that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts