Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Can anyone tell me if its possible to 'balance' a GL1800 like you could with the GL1100
The bike seems to be 'hunting' when it is at idle and doesn't seem to be smooth at low speed
If it is possible is there any instructions anywhere

Many thanks Rob

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Rob your 1800 is fuel injected and there are no carbies to balance ( 4 carbies on an 1100 and 6 carbies on a 1500) but there are all sorts of engine management devices that could cause hunting. More than likely you have a vacuum leak or possibly a fuel pressure issue.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for that , I had realised it was fuel injected but still wondered if there was a mechanical type of adjustment

As an aside are there really 6 carbs on a 1500 I thought there were only 2 (thats what it looks like in the manual I have access to)

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
two carbs on the 1500 Wing and 6 on the Valk.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
If you're having idling problems you can do a reset on the ECU that might help.

DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE DURING THIS ENTIRE PROCESS. I know I shouted it but moving the throttle terminates the process early and you'll have to start all over.

With the bike cold, start it and allow it to warm up until the fans come on. This may take as long as 10-15 minutes.

Without touching the throttle or the kill switch turn the key off.

Your done. After starting the bike again it should idle much better.

Henry

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're having idling problems you can do a reset on the ECU that might help.

DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE DURING THIS ENTIRE PROCESS. I know I shouted it but moving the throttle terminates the process early and you'll have to start all over.

With the bike cold, start it and allow it to warm up until the fans come on. This may take as long as 10-15 minutes.

Without touching the throttle or the kill switch turn the key off.

Your done. After starting the bike again it should idle much better.

Henry

This is correct. BUT you have to erase the ECM first. Unplug battery for at least an hour.(negative side) Then hook up and IDLE for 10-20min.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
This is correct. BUT you have to erase the ECM first. Unplug battery for at least an hour.(negative side) Then hook up and IDLE for 10-20min.
Why, there is no memory power to the ECM.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Sounds like you've got some good advise here. Please let us know if it works.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Idle on the 1800 is controlled by The Idle Air Control Valve. It is mounted below the airbox (good luck) and the fragile /maintenance type parts associated with it's proper operation are a couple of vacuum hoses that feed it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why, there is no memory power to the ECM.
It is called a ECM reset. Some GL1800's experience this(surging/hunting idle). The ECM has RAM in it. Which means it stores parameters that it learned. The ECM ALWAYS has power to it (switch on or off). Ask a dealer. They have an HDS tool they hook up to it. They have to "reset ecm" tab on it. It will say "You may need to run the vehicle for up to 20 minutes in order to reset idle after doing this".
And as it was posted. You DO NOT touch the throttle until the cooling fans come on.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Ansimp said:
Rob your 1800 is fuel injected and there are no carbies to balance ( 4 carbies on an 1100 and 6 carbies on a 1500)
I may need to dispute that statement...ther is not 6 carbs on the 1500 (maybe a Valk)...correct me if I am wrong..but the 1500 has 2carbs!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Show me where that is.
Good call out! I can't find any straight power to ECM. But Like I posted it does have ram. It does store parameters. You have to clear them out before it will re-
learn.
I was certain at the time I saw a "hot power wire" to the ECM. It is hot to the relay, switch operates relay to make power. I don't get mad when someone calls me out if I make a mistake.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
Good call out! I can't find any straight power to ECM. But Like I posted it does have ram. It does store parameters. You have to clear them out before it will re-
learn.
I was certain at the time I saw a "hot power wire" to the ECM. It is hot to the relay, switch operates relay to make power. I don't get mad when someone calls me out if I make a mistake.
I will agree it does have RAM, or memory of some sort but since there is no keep alive power there is no need to or way to clear it except with the ECM reset in the HDS. It just relearns the idle when the procedure is followed if needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.