Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering if there is a specific ballast resistor needed for my 1976 gl1000, or is it possible to interchange it with an automobile single ballst resistor/

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You could try it, but quite often you will get othe rproblems like the engine not starting. No harm in trying, if you are near a car breakers and can get hold of a few used units.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

whitehog69 wrote:
I was wondering if there is a specific ballast resistor needed for my 1976 gl1000, or is it possible to interchange it with an automobile single ballst resistor/
whitehog69 , that would really depend on the internal resistance on the coils primary. Most point type ignition systems need a little over 3 ohms in the added resistance of both the coil & resistor (for each set of points).. The idea is to keep the points operating voltage & current below a threshold that will damage the points (that is usually in the 7-9 volt range. Automotive ballast resistors do vary slightly from car line to car line but most are in the 1.5-2 ohm range.

If you go too low on the resistance of the added ballast resistor you will shorten point life or over heat the coil.. If you go too high on resistor resistance you risk lack of spark at low RPM idle or under engine load.

If you can match the resistance of your original Wing resistor then an automotive resistor will work fine.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

The problem is in knowing what the resistance is on the resistor. Car ones don't always have any info stamped on them, so its going to be trial and error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.