Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got a couple of questions about the bank angle senor on a 88 1500.

1. Can the engine start and run ( even poorly ) with a faulty sensor or, not run at all, or run until the carb bowls are depleted?

2. Is there a way to test the sensor, or temporarily bypass it so as to eliminate it from fault?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Mc ( still workin on it!!)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The purpose of the sensor is to shut off the engine if the bike exceeds a set angle. It shouldn't run at all. You can test it and/or bypass it if needed, Also there's an electronic service manual available there for free that's actually a program that shows color coded schematics for different systems on the bike and offers a fair amount of troubleshooting information. Check your frame as mentioned below, if you don't have the 'X'a dealer should do the replacement because it's an NTSB recall which doesn't expire.

Here's the skinny on the sensor:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500%20Service%20Bulletins/1500SB6.pdf

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I have a 90 GL1500 and just replaced the sensor a month ago.
To test for a faulty sensor simply sit on the bike with the motor running and shake the hell out of the handlebars. If the motor quits you have a bad BAS. Mine was replaced under a recall from 1995, and was still honored by Honda 14 years later. The dampening fluid inside the unit had dried up causing the pendulum to swing wildly and shut the bike down Very dangerous should you be riding at speed, or even pulling out of a parking lot into traffic when It fails.

I heard that some people disable it by drilling a hole in it and filling with silicone to keep the pendulum from moving.

Call Honda and give them your VIN number and they will advise you if the recall was done. If not they will pay for the repair at a Honda dealer.
Don't rely on an X being stamped on the frame. My buddy has a 99 and the BAS was replaced by a previous owner but there was no X stamped.

Here's a page form Steve's site with all the recall info.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1500.htm
Worth a read.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

my bike took a nap the other day while ideling as the stand sank into the ground. the engine was still running while it sat on the engine guard...shouldnt it have shut off? or must it go completly on the flat to trip it....this has me wondering if my sensor is working. its not like the recall for an overactive sensor, mine seems to be a stuck sensor..no fuel leaked and the oil pressure was still ok, so maybe it wasnt over far enough to matter?
its on a 99 model.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the bike goes down gently to the crash guards the tilt sensor won't shut it off. If it goes much further it will. At least that's the way mine works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.