Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone know the color of the base coat for a repaint of the wine berry on my 82 GL1100? I don't need an exact paint code. I just need to get close. Is it more on the white side of towards the gray? I've used black, and it makes the wine berry look very dark. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

are you talkingbout primer? not a painter but would think red primer would do it.:action::waving: sure someone with more knowledge than myself will be along shortly. good luck an post pics

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thank you for your response. I'm actually using primer but the paint manufacturer of the top coat I purchased says I have the use their base color to make it match with my bike. The top coat is beautiful, but too dark with the black primer I have used. I have many colors of primer at my disposal, but I barely have enough of the top coat to do my saddle bags, trunk and lids on the shelter. So anymore experimenting is out of the question. I didn't want to purchase the base color due to price. Plus I want to get rid of all this primer I have in the garage. I was hoping someone out there has painted their GL and would give me some help. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

be patient someone with more knowledge than i will come along. sucks when you want to get done but better than doing it over:waving:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

It depends what type of paint you are using. The factory finish is three-stage, that is a silver metallic base followed by the wineberry (R114cu) colour coats until you have it looking right, then clearcoat to finish.
Black base never seems to work for that colour (for me anyway) and that is how I discovered on a paint analyzer machine in my local autopaint shopthat the base colour is silver metallic and not black as some people had suggested to me.

BTW there are two wineberry (one was for the GL1200) shades and they both have the same R114cu code. More info in this thread;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/1208.html

Also read this particular post;
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=539566

in this thread, some good information here;
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=53805&forum_id=1

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

OH DAMN YOU GO STEVE:cheeky1: see i told you, someone that knows what he's talking about.:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

That is exactly what I want to find out. Thank you so much! But unfortunately, I don't silver metalic primer. So I'll have to buy the base anyway. Thanks to all with the replys. Cheers, Al

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

always happy to help :?:cheeky1::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

als_82gl1100 wrote:
That is exactly what I want to find out. Thank you so much! But unfortunately, I don't silver metalic primer. So I'll have to buy the base anyway. Thanks to all with the replys. Cheers, Al
Youjustneed standard primer. The metallic base coat is just silver metallic paint (not primer) and you spray that on top ofthe primer and before the colour coats and the metallic flakes show through the colour. I can't remember the silver paint code, but it was more a mid-silver and not too bright. If you are spraying a whole bike then the accuracy of the silver won't be too critical.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

plainmech wrote:
OH DAMN YOU GO STEVE:cheeky1: see i told you, someone that knows what he's talking about.:action::waving:
Don't pay too much heed to me, I'm only here now because I'm still jetlagged and can't sleep. ;)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Here are the pics. Only doing the the hinged panels for the shelter. Came out so good that I might have to do the whole thing. Came out awesome for a rattle can job. I purchased this paint from a local motorcycle paint store called ColorRite. http://www.colorrite.com/

Sorry for the blurry images.;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

very nice work. how does it match?:waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

It's pretty close. I think it might be a hair dark because I sprayed too many coats. But it looks better than the oxidize and peeling clear coat that was on there before.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I had a fellow at a local NAPA match the paint on my Wing with the Gun that they have. The machine gives you a rating for different colors. It came up with Royal Cabernet Metalic, Code PM8, from 88 - 89 Chrysler in Martin Senour, it is a 2.1 on a scale of 1 to 10.It is prettydarn close to the original color.It is abase coat, clear coat, which is different than the original silver base, candy, clear.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
imported post

I have the paint code for my 87 Aspencade wineberry R114cu how would I convert that to a duplacolor paint code?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.