Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I don't have a bike yet, but what I'mthinking aboutis a GL1100. I went by and looked at it yesterday and couldn't find the oil dip stick or any place to add oil. I saw what looked like a place to add drive shaft fluid. Later I talked to the guy who's selling it on the phone, and he said you put 60 weight oil in that fill spot down low on the right side where it looks like it's for the drive shaft, and that is motor oil and shaft oil both. Is that true? He said there is no dip stick, but you get the bike level and fill it until you can just touch the oil with your finger. Is that right?

Also, I didn't see any place to add coolant to the radiator, or any way to see how much is in it. Can someone help me with that too?

Thanks!

David Harrison

pre-newby

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

first off , welcome to the site.
on the 1100 there is no oil dip stick. there is a sight glass on the right side. (as your sitting on the bike) its just above the frame tube. there are 2 casting marks on the case . as long as the oil level is between them your ok. cation-- do not over fill! oil level is checked with the bike on the center stand , NOT on the side stand !!
the rear oil is totaly differnt oil than engine oil. the engine oil and trans oil uses the same oil.the rear uses 80/90 weight . it is filled and checked by removeing the large cap (17 mm). the level should be at the bottom of the hole. like its running out, stop , its full.
the coolant level is checked by opening the false tank cover. removeing the tool tray and looking inside to the right. you`ll see a expansen tank with a black screw on cap. on the tank , you`ll also see a couple of moled in lines . cold and hot , i think. coolant level should be between them .use a 50/50 mix (silcate free ) coolant.

i think you`ll find that a manual would be a very wise investment . the honda 80-83 is the best . they come up on e bay . every so often.
hope this is of some use to you. its a hunt an peck thing for me. so i am slow to get a reply in. good luck with it too.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Hi David,

After buying the bike, your second purchase needs to be a shop manual. It will fill in a LOT of gaps and misinformation you have and are about to receive.

Engine oil:

the fill cap is low on the right side rear of engine case (rider's right when sitting on the bike). There is no dip stick under the cap as you may have with other bikes. To check oil level, put the bike up on center stand. then, look for the sight window below the fill cap (a few inches lower on what looks like the oil pan). There is a small screw head in the middle of the sight window. By turning that screw head, an internal wiper blade will clear the glass, allowing you to see the oil level. It should be between the two marks on the case. Aftermarket dip sticks can be had that mount to the oil drain plug.

Coolant:

What looks like a gas tank on the 1100 is actualy a false tank (aka shelter). By removing the shelter, you can gain access ot the radiator cap. Coolant level should be between the two marks on the overflow tank (can be seen when accessing the gas fill capwith the shelter still on).

Rear drive:

There are actually three lubricants used here. You prolly noticed the large cap on the drive body. That is the fill cap for the drive oil. It should be 75w90 gear oil in there. There is a drain plug down low and a breather cap up high. Once drained, refill with gear oil until it drips out of the fill cap.

The second lube is general purpose axle grease. To take the rear wheel off, you do so by disconnecting the final drive at the prop shaft. Where the drive connects to the prop shaft, you will see a spline gear. That gear needs to be cleaned and repacked with axle greas via the grease nipple on top of the case once reassembled.

Third, when you seperate the wheel hub from the final drive case, you will see similar splines only larger. Thesesplines need to be cleaned andsmeared with freshMOLY-60 paste (that's prolly where the 60 came from that the PO mentioned).

I change all three lubes with each rear tire change.

Other fluids:

- brake fluid (DOT3 or DOT4)

- fork oil (Auto Trans Fluid is standard, but you can go with actual fork oil of various weights to adjust your ride)

- battery electrolyte (unless your bettery is maintenance free). Distilled water only here

- rear shock oil. Similar to fork oil

- battery wax (see! told you you'd be getting mis-information!)

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

nopeda wrote:
Hi,

I don't have a bike yet, but what I'mthinking aboutis a GL1100. I went by and looked at it yesterday and couldn't find the oil dip stick or any place to add oil. I saw what looked like a place to add drive shaft fluid. Later I talked to the guy who's selling it on the phone, and he said you put 60 weight oil in that fill spot down low on the right side where it looks like it's for the drive shaft, and that is motor oil and shaft oil both. Is that true? He said there is no dip stick, but you get the bike level and fill it until you can just touch the oil with your finger. Is that right?

Also, I didn't see any place to add coolant to the radiator, or any way to see how much is in it. Can someone help me with that too?

Thanks!

David Harrison

pre-newby
There is no stock dipstick. The engine oil is filled on the right side just below and to the rear of the fuel pump. It is about a half a dollar size cap with a vertical tab with which to turn it.
Radiator coolant is under the false tank, on the right side and the reservoir is in there also on the right.

Not sure about what he was referring to shaft oil and engine oil the same. And engine oil would not be 60 wt.

There is a glass window just forward of the oil fill cap that is used to determine oil level. There is a very small screw on it that can be turned to activate a little window washer to clear it a bit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.