Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to Daytona to get some bait and tackle at the Fishin' Shack for Red Snapper season this weekend and one day the next and decided to swing by the Bass Pro store to look for a rod for my boss.. They only had 2 Ugly Stik rods that would work with the Shimano TLD 50 his girlfriend's getting him so I bought the longer of the two. But as I looked around I realized it wasn't only the rods they didn't have much of a selection on, it was EVERYTHING!!!! And then it got worse when to the guns and ammo. They had only about half of the normal stock of pistols and rifle/shotguns and NO ammo except .17 cal and .22mag.... That's it......

It's the place to go for clothes and sunglasses maybe but not much of anything else!!! At least in Daytona...….

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
I have found Bass Pro to be way higher priced than almost anywhere else. They were a good place to shop when they just had the single store in Springfield Mo. Seemed to get worse after they bought out Cabellas too.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
I noted the same at the Calela's in Dayton, Ohio last month when I was visiting my son there.

I had to order my .223 ammo online from two different sources.
and found three 30 round magazines for the Mini-14....
hope it never comes to using any of that in anger. :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Cabela's is too expensive, unless you can find the item cheaper elsewhere and get them to price match. Then, they'll match the other price and as a club member they'll knock off an additional 5%, or something like that.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
yeah, unless Cabela's has a sale price, we don't buy from them...

shopped the online folks and made a list, then went with the cheapest....
took 10 days for my order of 1,000 rounds to leave the warehouse... they sent out an email stating that some workers had tested positive and apologized for the delay.
they also stated that the incoming orders were over-whelming their ability to keep up with mailing stuff out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All those new gun buyers want enough ammo to handle the zombies when they come...

I'm just bumming that they've done away with most of the Bargain Caves.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
I've got 1,400 rds of .223 and 3 thirty rd magazines.
that will get me thru a mini-war for a couple of minutes.
if there is a crowd, it is all over....
but living in a remote rural area, makes it improbable for the terrorist types to invade us, they know in advance that every pickup has a rifle in it

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
That is pretty much what you will find on guns and ammo anywhere you go, not just Bass Pro. Slim pickings right now. I would say this is even worse than the last rush around 2012-13. Some stuff was still available during that but was 2-3 times it should have been if not higher. That last time, center fire ammo supply seemed like it started getting better towards the end of the year but rimfire took several years before it became readily available again. I learned my lesson then. After inventory started getting reasonably priced, I picked up a little here and a little there. This drought isnt going to affect me at all.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Try getting parts to build an AR. Lots of stuff shows unavailable. Took 6 weeks to get a lower receiver.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think 2012 was when I bought my 500 and had a hard time finding ammo for her so that's when I decided to do the reloading thing!! So I bought a Rockchucker setup, brass, primers, and then hit THE Snag.... I couldn't find any powder to load with!!!!! For about 2 weeks I searched and finally a buddy found me some Titegroup at a Mom and Pop sporting goods store about 50 miles away!! I haven't been without since.. I don't want to but I might get the dies to load some 9mm as there is none around here..... Bass Pro DID have some 9mm brass and a few boxes of Berry's Plated Bullets there! Didn't look for primers though......

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
9mm primers were invisible at Cabela's last month.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
Try getting parts to build an AR. Lots of stuff shows unavailable. Took 6 weeks to get a lower receiver.
Speaking of AR parts, do a quick search of retailers for 80% lowers or even jigs to drill them out. There are now quite a few manufacturers that are advertising them. But you will be hard pressed to find anyone that has any in stock. It seems like there are either a large group that want "off the books" AR's or a lot of desperate folks that have no choice but to try and make their own because of the shortage of serialized stripped lowers. Not quite sure.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Speaking of AR parts, do a quick search of retailers for 80% lowers or even jigs to drill them out. There are now quite a few manufacturers that are advertising them. But you will be hard pressed to find anyone that has any in stock. It seems like there are either a large group that want "off the books" AR's or a lot of desperate folks that have no choice but to try and make their own because of the shortage of serialized stripped lowers. Not quite sure.
I would have to be pretty desperate. 80% lowers cost more than finished ones, then $500 or so for tools to finish it. If I wanted to build them by the hundreds then maybe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts