Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Guys,

This is more a question than a note. I got my Batres Saddlebags and Trunks on yesterday evening after a rest. Here is where I need some input. What is the simplest way to get the screws lines up on Bates Saddlebags on the rear Chrome rods, the one that attaches the left top and bottom left and right chrome rods on the inside of the chrome, (Top and Bottom) to the outside of the chrome, where the two inside taillights are, to the right/left chrome on the top/bottom rod linkages?

I have pulled and use vice grips on each side, butI cannot get them to line up properly. Is there anyway this rod could have been put in backwards?

While I had them off, I got most of the rust off of the connector rods, and oiled them down. That was the easy part.

Thanks,

David Aka Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I haven't done it in ages but I remember as if it was yesterday. I used an awl to slide through all the holes. does yours have a couple pieces of flat stock and or plates meeting at several places? After the awl I used a 10mm bolt then followed up with the 3/8 or 9/16 hardware. After removing and reinstalling a few times I ended up making my own mounts and even added a light bar across the back

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Just a thought, maybe you did this already, leave all the bolts as loose as you can and still be started by a few threads. The play (slop) you get may give you what you need to start the one (s) with less difficulty.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

GWNorman,

Very. After I had bolted my spacers into the rear fenders, ( I also have the heavy tow bar intsalled in the rear thatbolts on the vert outside last) I had to pull up the fenders, jackup the rear trailor bar hitch, set the Chrome trim, and the bracket that holds the trunk on, all lined together. I finally got it done, but not exactly 100%, due to the lack of time and furstration, but I can now add these anytime. I still will have to pull the bags off so I can get to the rest of the rust that I couldn't normaly get to, but I have mage a lot of progress.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

GWNorman wrote:
Are the brackets just strained, that can cause problems on refitting.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I am adding this kind of late, but I found out I should have disconnected the shocks at one end. The Problem was with the trailor hitch rods. They are about 2-3 inches too short, and after I got tt all together, I still had a rear bumpy ride. I am thinking about pulling off the trailor hitch for a summer, and ridiing it and see if there is a difference. Below is a pic of the hitch before I tore the bike down. It is still the same distance/size still. It weighs about 50+ bs.

Nightrider1

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That hitch is too heavy at 50 lbs. Find a way to lighten that thing up some.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Bagmaster,

I totally agree. It may look funny for a while, but I should get used to it. I am going to take it off as soon as I have a whole day, hopefully this weekend, or when it gets warmer. I keep it in my shed, but I noticed on my 1st wing, I had to stand on the tips of my toes to hold it up, and it was a GL1100 Standard also. This one, I can sit and put my feet flat on the ground, but I hate the bumps. Seems like I can feel every one on the road. I have good rear shocks, and rarely have to add any air, nor to the front. I think it will ride like a caddy after I pull them off.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.