Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Short & sweet...
Has anybody here has any experience, good or bad, with "Chrome Battery" ? Their prices seem very good for their claimed AGM battery.
http://www.chromebattery.com/motorcycle-batteries.html

My best advice would be to avoid that battery with the little metal tabs for posts, unless the one your buying has the lead posts avoid these. I bought an agm battery brand new off ebay, and in less than two years corrosion wore out the little metal positive and negative posts so that last fall during routine maintenance while trying to remove the battery terminals from the battery, one of the corroded posts simply broke off in my hand...i can post pics of this if need be....hope this helps....:waving::waving:

It does look like the chrome battery does not have those little metal posts but lead ones instead...but the heads up on the metal posts would still be true....

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
bad battery posts

i had the same problem with a cheap agm battery with steel posts,lasted 3 months,suggestion....buy an odyssey....maybe more but in the long run you will be alot happier and safer when u are 1000 miles from home alone in the middle of night on a dark road

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
for my part all seems fine. I would buy if it were mine.:claps:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I know nothing about Chrome Battery. I looked on their site at the Goldwing size battery and it says it is 240 cca. I got mine at Battery Stuff and theirs is 350 cca. Of course mine cost a lot more than the one at Chrome Battery also. The price is certainly right for the one your are looking at but maybe they gave up some quality to get there. The cca rating is over 30% less than mine. Just sayin.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
I know nothing about Chrome Battery. I looked on their site at the Goldwing size battery and it says it is 240 cca. I got mine at Battery Stuff and theirs is 350 cca. Of course mine cost a lot more than the one at Chrome Battery also. The price is certainly right for the one your are looking at but maybe they gave up some quality to get there. The cca rating is over 30% less than mine. Just sayin.

I agree, both last batteries i have purchased(for 1500) have had 350cca at least....not sure 240 would be enough in cold weather...and thats nothing against chrome battery, just sayin...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Hmmm, free shipping and only a couple bucks more than the Everstart standard battery from Wal-Mart. Not bad.

I use the Everstart $52 battery from WM (260cca) and have had no problems starting down to around -8 degrees. Yes, turns a bit slower when it's that cold. What battery wouldn't?

Would 240cca (-20cca) make a difference? Probably not for me. My maintenance habits are pretty high as well. That battery is maintenance-free though. I've never liked that idea in a battery.

I think it'll work fine though I've no experience with Chrome.

Call Chrome and ask them who it is that supplies them with their batteries. There are only so many battery manufacturers in the US.

Remember when anti-freeze spiked a high some years back? 2 of the 3 manufacturing plants burned down in the same year? Anti-freeze went from almost "no-concern" of a price to over $13-$14 a gallon. That was crazy. There are only so many battery manufacturers...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 240 CCA doesn't bother me too much here in AZ. The OEM Yuasa is only 260 CCA, and that has always been plenty, no matter how cold the bike got.
I was hoping someone had done some biz with these folks so they could report. I guess I'll just go for it and hope for the best. I know the battery will be from China or India, but most of the other batteries sold here are too, and most people don't have any problems with them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Another vote for the Odyssey. High cranking amps and last a long time. The one on my wifes Suzuki is 6 years old and sits most of the time. Put the key in and it spins the starter like it was just put in. My new to me 1500 needed a battery. An Odyssey went in. Should not have to worry about it for another 6-8 years.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
stay away from steel terminal posts.

waste of money.

stay with heavy lead posts as on the Odyssey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.