Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Merry Christmas all! This is a great site have learned a lot. I have a 1988 GL 1500 with 132,000 miles on it. I bought it in May of this year to be a daily rider.:action:

Can't seem to string enough days together to ride it regularly. :thumbsdown:

Problem 1: I took it on a 3 hour trip and picked up a noise that a consensus of riders agree that its my rear brake pads. The rear wheel also drags and it seems I need a new rotor. So now I'm I'm looking to replace my pads and rotor and looking for recommendations.

Problem 2: Since I wasn't riding it on a regular basis I was cranking it every week at least once to keep it running. The last cold spell while trying to start it I killed the battery and it won't charge. Now I'm looking for suggestions for a battery also.

Looking for input! :?

Thanks

mlm145

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Rotor -EBC
pads -EBC FA-69HH(rear)
You will need to free up the caliper from sticking. Clean & lube the pins, clean the brake pistons and might need a rebuild kit for the caliper.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Oopps. Merry Christmas!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,825 Posts
imported post

Get a battery tender for the battery,

it is good insurance and makes a battery last a whole lot longer.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

When doing brakes, you really need to go through them thourally, as they really do collect a lot of grime/dirt. Pull the slide pinsto clean and lube. And a good chance the pistons may have some rust preventing them to work smooth. It's just a matter of taking the time to clean up all moving parts.

As for a battery,,,,,,, I recommend a Glass Matted battery. And like AZgl1500 posted,,,, a battery tender is a very good investment. I beleive it can prolong the life of a battery by years.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the inputs so far. I am definitely going to get a maintainer! Merry Christmas all!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

While you have the wheel out it is a great idea to check those wheel bearings. I recently purchased a used rear wheel with about 40k and the bearings were bad. I was going to change them anyway and am now glad of that decision.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

mlm145 wrote:
Merry Christmas all! This is a great site have learned a lot. I have a 1988 GL 1500 with 132,000 miles on it. I bought it in May of this year to be a daily rider.:action:

Can't seem to string enough days together to ride it regularly. :thumbsdown:

Problem 1: I took it on a 3 hour trip and picked up a noise that a consensus of riders agree that its my rear brake pads. The rear wheel also drags and it seems I need a new rotor. So now I'm I'm looking to replace my pads and rotor and looking for recommendations.

Problem 2: Since I wasn't riding it on a regular basis I was cranking it every week at least once to keep it running. The last cold spell while trying to start it I killed the battery and it won't charge. Now I'm looking for suggestions for a battery also.

Looking for input! :?

Thanks

mlm145
Found a local shop that doesn't plan on making enough money off of me to shut down for a week long vacation!

Took awhile but found out what problem 1 was. I was missing a bolt in my brake caliper! Now brake pads, rotor and bearings replaced and drive shaft greased! I got what I feel is such a good price for that work I'm going to have them go over the bike and do a through service on it so I know when every thing was done.

Problem 2: I bought a battery maintainer and that is working. I still plan to get a new battery before I make my first, long to me, road trip to NC (about a 5 hour trip)!

Thanks to everyone that gave advice and to the folks Bad Boys House of Cycles in Zebulon, Georgia!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:action:I have my Wing back! New rear rotor, pads and bearings. Serviced, cleaned and 100 miles of break in riding today! I almost forgot an AGM battery. More riding tomorrow or should I say today?

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Great to hear you found a shop that treated you the right way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.