Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Could someone please explain the advantages and/or disadvantages of fitting a larger capacity battery? i am currently using a 20ah on my 1984 Aspy, which seems to discharge fairly quickly when the bike is in the garage. If left for a couple of weeks, there is not enough zapps to start the engine. The battery is two years old, and has only covered a few hundred miles since new.
I am wondering how much current the clock draws, or maybe there is another source of drain. time will tell.

regards, Al

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the replies.
I just did the drain test with a multimeter. 0.01 which i believe is not bad. When I know I am not going to use the bike for a while, I do disconnect the battery. I seems to me that to go from fully charged to no cranking in aboot a week and a half is a bit too quick. I am experimenting with a digital timer, so that I can remotely charge the battery for a set time every week.

Regards, Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
".....seems to me that to go from fully charged to no cranking in about a week and a half is a bit too quick...."

Precisely.

JMO: I'd suggest a load test of that battery first, then regardless of outcome and / or it's replacement, use a Battery Tender or Noco trickle charger / maintainer continuously, when parked.
( daily ) ( religiously ) ( forever ).

·
Premium Member
80,531 Posts
Hallo goldwing1951

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A lot of variables. 2 years can be a lifetime for a battery that's being abused, such as sitting a lot and not getting fully recharged when used.
How often is the bike ridden and how many miles/hours when it does hit the road?
Are most of the miles out on the road or around town?
What is the charge rate when running?
Why is there air?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,715 Posts
Hi All

Thanks for the replies.
I just did the drain test with a multimeter. 0.01 which i believe is not bad. When I know I am not going to use the bike for a while, I do disconnect the battery. I seems to me that to go from fully charged to no cranking in aboot a week and a half is a bit too quick. I am experimenting with a digital timer, so that I can remotely charge the battery for a set time every week.

Regards, Al
wrong idea....
that allows the battery to discharge a bit, and that consumes its' life span after a while.

Best to spend a few bucks on a Battery Tender, ala the "Battery Tender" brand....
wally world has them for under 25 bux.....
for your purpose, 250 milliAmps is good nuff; ASSUMING, the battery is near full charge.

if not, then get the bigger one, at 1.25 Amps,
I have both of them. the big one goes on the Big Boy Lawn Mower's battery

Lead Acid "wet cell" batteries are not good for long term small current drain.
they provide lots of Amps to crank the engine and then want to be recharged "now"

best bet, is to get a new AGM or glass mat battery, it is more amenable to being mistreated like that.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
960 Posts
I agree about the Battery Tender. The Junior model will probably be good enough. 0.75 amp charge. I keep the Junior on my bike all winter in storage and the Plus model on my toy hauler battery.
If you have an Aspencade, the radio memory also uses a little current. Both clock and radio should be under 5 millliamps draw. That should not kill the battery in two weeks.

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your tips, advice and welcomes. Alternators, undercharging, agm, lead acid, overcharging, tenders, voltage regulators, pulse generators, load tests, solenoids, parasitic drains etc etc ... it's all getting to be too much for this old man.o_O i long for the good old days of motorcycling. the last motorized velocipede i owned had cable operated everything, a magneto for the sparks, and a dynamo for the lights. when the engine stopped, the lights went out. it also had the benefit of one of those antique devices called a kickstarter. funny they never caught on.:oops:
i guess a battery tender is the way forward. about $20 in wally world sounds like a bargain, though the return airfare from the uk to the nearest wally bumps the $ a bit. they are just over $40 here in uk, from the bay of e.

Later Guys :)

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
960 Posts
Thank you all for your tips, advice and welcomes. Alternators, undercharging, agm, lead acid, overcharging, tenders, voltage regulators, pulse generators, load tests, solenoids, parasitic drains etc etc ... it's all getting to be too much for this old man.o_O i long for the good old days of motorcycling. the last motorized velocipede i owned had cable operated everything, a magneto for the sparks, and a dynamo for the lights. when the engine stopped, the lights went out. it also had the benefit of one of those antique devices called a kickstarter. funny they never caught on.:oops:
i guess a battery tender is the way forward. about $20 in wally world sounds like a bargain, though the return airfare from the uk to the nearest wally bumps the $ a bit. they are just over $40 here in uk, from the bay of e.

Later Guys :)
Just make sure you get the Battery Tender made by Deltran. I checked Walmart here and even the junior model is about $40. You do not want a trickle charger. Or one that is less than 2 amps max charge. They do have some OFF brands that may be OK for a car, but charge rate is too high for a motorcycle battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts