Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while back John was talking about how to properly keep batteries charged.
I tried to find it and I came up with this post that is not open for comments.

"They're Lithium Ion. Can be charged at anytime. So can nickel metal hydride. But, Ni-cads, they like to be almost fully discharged, then fully recharged. Almost being the key word."

My new drone came with 3 batteries. I noticed that I leave them fully charged after a few days they will discharge to 60%.
I posted my question to fellow "pilots" for that specific drone. They assured me that the discharge is set up purposely thru the app because having the battery charged at 100% for a long time will shorten the life of the battery. Live and learn/ Maybe I should join the University of Batteries

·
Administrator
58,960 Posts
for longevity, yes, ~60% is the value stated by the OEMs for Long Term storage.
Also, charging them to 100% is considered a no no.....
~85%-88% is considered a better topping off point, and is the point at which I have my cellphone's macro yell at me Verbally "Battery charged 87% remove charger"
the macro sets the audio at 100% so that I can hear it anywhere in the house.

on the flip side, my cellphone's macro yells at me "Battery Low 37% please plug in charger"

the verbal statements are long on purpose, I found that a short "Battery Low" disappeared before my brain recognized what it was saying....

that is not to say, that sometimes, I am busy and the charge goes up to 100%.
but at leat, most of the time I unplug the charger at ~88% to 90%,
or I am not at home and the battery drops to ~10% or so... which is NOT a good thing at all.

Let it drop to 0% and you just about have destroyed a Lithium Ion battery.

My cellphone is now 4 years old, and the battery is NOT replaceable.
So, it behooves me to try and make it last "forever"

·
Administrator
25,563 Posts
But down to 60%? Like going on a trip and never filling your tank over 1/2 full. If it were true a full charge is bad for them I could understand dropping them to 90%.

·
Administrator
58,960 Posts
I just bought a new Wireless "hotspot" LTE modem, it has a battery that will make it charger free for 10-12 hours... the internal programming will turn off the WiFi after 15 minutes of non-use to protect the battery if you don't use it often enough....

the LAN port on it is also programmable from 2 minutes to 60 minutes, or it can be Disabled...
In my case, for use as a Permanent Internet Modem that is "always ON", the battery is removed, the charger is plugged in all the time, and the LAN port is Disabled because it is feeding my WiFi router which does not have a battery, it used a 5V power supply. In this case, the internal "hotspot" WiFi is turned OFF.

·
Administrator
58,960 Posts
But down to 60%? Like going on a trip and never filling your tank over 1/2 full. If it were true a full charge is bad for them I could understand dropping them to 90%.
Dave, that is for "Long Term" storage off of a charger....

as I just said, but you might not have seen that post, I set my topping off point at 85-88%, but sometimes, I don't get to it quick enough and it goes up to 100%.... my phone has a Fast Charger and I have to be quick to unplug it, or 100% it goes.

Even using the range of 35% to 88%, my phone only needs a charge about once per 24 hour day.....
that is using it 2 or 3 times for short calls.

If I get on the phone with Lopeha, it will make about 3 to 3.5 hours and I hear the Audio response "please plug in charger"... that is when he is OTR though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
To stop charging at a set level, I used to use an app but that required root access which got to be a pain with all the OS upgrades and such. Then I started to use a smart outlet and had my home automation software monitor the phone level and shut off the charger. Not exactly a convenient setup, either. Finally found the easy solution.
Chargie. An app controlled USB switch that I don't have to think about.

Just a happy customer. I used to change phones often enough this wasn't an issue, but these days most new phones don't bring anything new to the table that I feel I need.

·
Administrator
58,960 Posts
My daughter is still using my original Samsung Galaxy S5 which is still yet, a Flagship model for the feature set. Asked if she wanted an upgrade, and she said "Why? this works just fine"

I have a Samsung Note8 which is now 4 years old, and still meets the specs of the brand new phones being released this year..... why? I never use more than 2048 pixels on the camera, I have always set the pixel rating at the lowest possible value.... that still produces way more resolution than anything on the Internet can use.

It has a decent LTE receiver for fast downloads, the old S5 has a better receiver, it will work when my Note8 looses the signal.

I never buy new.... I always go to Swappa.com and find something at $200 that meets today's specs.

·
Administrator
58,960 Posts
I failed to mention that both of our phones, the 'S5' and the 'Note8' have 64gB SDcards in them, and the camera is set to save all photos on the SDcard by Default.

I refuse to buy a cellphone that cannot accept an SDcard.

3 years ago, I did a dumb thing, left my Note4 on the dash of the truck on a rainy day....
later the rain went away, and full on Sun glare roasted that phone.
It died, never to boot up again.

Pulled the SDcard out and put it in my spare old phone, the same S5 that my daughter is using now, and wallah, all of my pictures were still alive and ready.

I also use a Screen Manager/Launcher called 'Nova Launcher'
it will save backups of all of your screens, including the Folders that contain apps that are in the same topic..... that Backup is emailed to me and I save it in an email Folder named NOVA backups.

When the Note4 died from heat exposure, I pulled the Simcard and SDcards, plugged them into the spare backup phone, Downloaded all of the apps that I had on the other phone from Google Playstore..... ( it keeps a record of apps in use )

Once all of those apps were reloaded by WiFi, I opened my email and the last NOVA backup that I had saved. within 10 seconds, the spare phone had exactly the same Screens and Folders that the dead phone had on it....

a huge time saver, no messing around with recreating the screens again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts