Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm heading out on holidays for about three weeks and want to keep the battery in my 1984 GL1200A in top shape while I'm away. Accordingly, I went out and bought a Battery Tender Jr. which the local shop assured me would be suitable for the Odyssey sealed gel battery in the bike. When I got it home, the fine print notes it is for lead acid batteries only. Do I need a special type of charger? As it's a long weekend here only the Harley shop is open. All the Japanese dealers are closed which flies in the face of their continuing claims that they don't get enough business.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Raymond, that's exactly what I did as soon as the initial panic passed. The battery is now hooked up and all the right lights are on.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have had a "Junior" for 4 years... wired the fast clips onto my  battery, keep the whole thing in a corner of my Saddle bag , in a Ziploc bag...and once I realized that it actually drew almost no current.. I added to the ziploc  a lamp gauge  extension cord  , about 16 feet long, and I use it at friends houses, or , once in the Yukon, at an isolated gas station...  Works great! battery is now 4 years old.. and seems in top conditionSilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

Is this battery tender charger something that you'd keep on your bike battery in the dead of winter when the bike won't be started for months? Plugged in and running all the time?

Sheeeeesh, I hate to think about winter already.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use a Harbor Freight battery tender (el cheapo that's me) I wired a cigarette lighter plug on it's cord and plug it into the socket I installed inside my left fairing cubby. The power socket is directly wired through a fuse to the battery so it's hot all the time and the charger is effectively directly connected when plugged in. Works great, the socket is out of the way, protected from rainand provides power to run my PDA based GPS and charge my cell phone when travelling. I can recommend the Harbor Freight tender, though it's less than $10 it's done good work on batteries I had stored over winter and on my bikes when not used for a couple weeks, that doesn't happen too many times a year.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

So how neccessary are these things? I've heard of people using them over the winter, but I've never heard of anyone having it plugged in 24-7. Do you REALLY need one?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't use mine unless the bike is going to be sitting for a couple weeks or so. Probably could go longer, but it does take care of the keep alive drain on the battery from the radio presets and the clock. If you don't have prolonged periods of winter inactivity it probably isn't all that necessary.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Like I found out on the Honda Sabre I got the clock alone is enough to eat the battery in about 3 weeks. The volt guage is well below 12 volt mark.

If you have a motorcycle that is sitting around. Make sure you put a trickle charger on it. It make the difference of having a battery for next year or having to buy a new battery! :shock:

Also... Make sure you drain the carbs! I just got done cleaning up a set of carbs for a friend that left the fuel valve on and left the bike sit for over two years! Never the less the carbs are a mess...And the battery was dead for sure...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Usually if you're going to let the bike sit over a winter, a fuel stabilizer will keep things pretty well. I've always had good luck with snowmobiles stored with fuel in them and they use mixed gas. Outboards do all right too with stabilizer over a winter. Both four and two stroke.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Usually if you're going to let the bike sit over a winter, a fuel stabilizer will keep things pretty well. I've always had good luck with snowmobiles stored with fuel in them and they use mixed gas. Outboards do all right too with stabilizer over a winter. Both four and two stroke.
The nice thing about living in central Texas, winter is so short that you can ride almost year round.:) One day it's 35 and the next it's 70.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Up here in Idaho I ride year round!

Half the year on the Goldwing...:D

The other half I jump on the Artic Cat Snowmobile and ride some more... :goofygrin:

This is the only way to stay in shape for riding! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
The nice thing about living in central Texas, winter is so short that you can ride almost year round.:) One day it's 35 and the next it's 70.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
Yeah... and the next day it's 110 and it stays that way for a loooong time! Not to mention the humidity.:D

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

110? I don't think it's been above 100 yet. Close, but maybe once or twice... Perfect riding weather. Will put a few miles on tomorrow!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
So how neccessary are these things? I've heard of people using them over the winter, but I've never heard of anyone having it plugged in 24-7. Do you REALLY need one?
rOmiLaYu, that depends onthe battery, length of storage, & if disconnected from the bike's electrical system.

If a conventionallead acid storage battery if should be charged a few times during a winter's storage. If an AGM (glass mat) then those will hold up all winter if disconnected from the bike's system. I personally use the AGM typebatteries & they come out of winter storage at 12.6-12.7 volts with no winter charging.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
According to their own website, it's fine... Google and ye shall find....

Battery Tender

Raymond
BTreally need to update the fine print on their chargers. This isn't the first time taht customers had doubts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.