Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are a lot of them out there, some good, others not worth the money you spent on them.

Here is one that meets the last part of my statement....
1) It will charge a battery "once", and then it quits, turns off, and does not Maintain the battery.
2) It will try to charge a big truck battery and when it does not perform as it should, the Display states "battery failure"

Yes, it will boost a decent battery that is only run down a little bit, say around 10.5 volts.

But, my Suburban had a Brand New 5 year battery that should have lasted me for many years of normal use.
But, I failed to turn off my GPS one time and did not use the truck for almost 3 months after that.

I had a lot of dirty words to say about that when the ceiling light did not come on in the black of night. Turning the key to start did not doing anything, no click click sounds at all.

My DVM showed the battery down in the 3 volts range, been a while, I forget.
I grabbed the charger pictured above, and it refused to charge the battery.

I went out to the shop and retrieved a very old, transformer/rectifier type battery charger. No smarts, just push a lot of amps no matter what. That charger got the battery up to where the Smart Charger would take over and try to finish the job.

I have been using this Smart Charger to "Maintain" the battery thru the Summer and now trying to use it on these cold frigid nights of late, until I got "Battery Failure" 3 nights in a row!!! I do NOT want to buy a new battery, when the one in the truck will be just fine, as long as, it is maintained at 13.1 through the cold weather.....

Then I remembered another Smart Charger that I bought several years ago for the old Husqvarna lawn tractor..... if the tiny battery in that thing was not maintained, it would die in about 3 or 4 weeks of cold weather.

Went out to the shop and found it, happy days.

Put it on the truck battery, and it immediately raised the battery from 11.3 to 13.1 so I knew that it was working.
I went out early the next morning, about 6 hours or so after it had been hooked up, and the DVM showed 14.3 volts.
That made me wonder if it would ever kick back, and throttle down to something reasonable?

later this afternoon, around 3 PM, I checked that battery again, and it is now at 13.33 volts.

what I really like about that little Schauer charger is, it is Full Automatic.
It will sense what type of battery it is connected to, and it uses High Frequency Pulses to do the charging.

On the Husqvarna lawn tractor, that battery lasted me 6 years, when the previous battery was stone cold dead over just one winter's sleep.

for our bikes, the small Battery Tender brand chargers are perfect, I have one that is only 0.125 amps rating, and it does just as good as the bigger one that is 0.75 amps rating... a fully charged battery does not take much to keep it topped off.

After my little rant, all I really wanted to get across, is you need to select the proper type charger for the job.

The Everstart is great for a One Time, get it charged up now, and take it off. It is NOT worth a damn as a Maintenance charger.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a closer look at the Schauer, it has LEDs that let you know everything that is going on.
when charging, the top LED is Blue.
when topped off and floating, it turns Green.

Note that it has a Rejuvenation Mode also.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
For battery maintenance, I'll use a Battery Tender Jr.. For dead/low batteries I've got a wheeled charger that charges at 2, 10, and 40amps. This charger is regulated so it's only put as many amps as needed: on the 40 amp setting it never has gone much above 30 amps and the amperage rate goes down as the battery comes to full charge. Normally when the battery is only taking about 10amps or so the battery is more that hot enough to crank whatever it goes in! Also she's got a 225amp Boost for a vehicle that don't wanna turn over like it's supposed too!!

I spent about $125.00 for it back in '07 and have Definitely gotton my money back out of it!! I keep it to use at work as my boss don't have a decent charger and it's convenient for me there as I don't really have a place to store it at my house....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 4 of the Battery Tender Jr models.

I have made it a point to keep a Battery Tender on every battery that has to sit outside year around.
gl1800
250cc MP3 Piaggio
Bad Boy Zero Turn
RV

The Golf Cart is 36 volts, six of the 6 volt monster batteries in it, I pitched for a good charger for that one.
The OEM charger would boil the water out every 30 days, and when the temps dropped below 70*F it refused to turn on and charge the batteries.

So, for that one, I spent some big bucks and got a good Full automatic, modern, Pulse Width charger for it too.
Now, I only need to top the battery water off twice a year, and it will charge even at 20*F.

It is definitely worth the big bucks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,
it has been 24 hours now with the Schauer charger, the DVM is showing 13.4 volts and the charger is now Displaying the 2 Amp charge mode, and the 'Finish LED' is showing green.

So, it has stabilized for the winter. gives me a good feeling that I won't have to cough up for a new battery in the near term.

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
I have a charger that looks a lot like that, NOKO genius 10. Just got it a few days ago for $12. It has a force mode for real dead batteries and a restore mode for bad batteries but I haven't had any luck yet with that. It has modes for different types and 6 or 12 volt. It also works as a power supply.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine states that it is NOT a power supply substitute, and the EverStart states the same thing.

I have two old ones that can be used for that, but I have never tried to do it... no need as of yet.

I suspect the reason for the Schauer is that it uses PWM, and that would kill electronic stuff.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Where I work we have some of those Lester Summit chargers for 48 volt utility carts. They are great, much better than the transformer chargers and even better than the new carts with the computerized battery management chargers. I have them mounted as on-board chargers so no plug troubles from corroded, worn or loose pins. The Bluetooth makes it easy to keep an eye on battery condition. Someday we will probably transition to Lithium Iron Phosphate once the price gets a little better, but for now those chargers give the lead acid the longest life.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't done much with the Bluetooth, just tired it once and saw that it works okay.
but it does not have much range, backed off about 10 feet and Poof!!!

Hadn't thought to be using the Bluetooth for Battery Condition, we just always plug the charger back in as soon as we get through using the Golf Cart....

For us, it is a Tractor around the acreage, hauls dirt, tree limbs, mulch, junk and so forth.
I have drove it into town, but have never tried to see how far it would go, have always been worried that it would loose power with me 2 miles away from home....

It is great for loading the chain saws on, the weedeater, all of them are Battery Electric..... I am done with Gas Engine driven crap, a super PITA to try and get them started in the Spring again. The only gas engine lawn toy is the Bad Boy Zero Turn mower.... but it has a Battery Tender on it, and it stays parked inside the Toy Hauler during the winter, out of the wind and rain.

i have a Poulon gas engine push mower that has not started in two years..... I saw a trick the other day though, take the plastic shelter off the top, expose the nut for the flywheel and use the Battery Impact wrench to spin it until it finally cranks off..... I need to do that on a warm day, and trim up the dead Johnson Grass out on the berm along the county road.... got about a 1000 feet of that crap to get cut down. the Weed Eater will do it, but it hurts my back.

the Golf Cart always has the trailer hooked up to it, and that lugs it down quite a bit, doesn't like to pull up inclines with 1500 lbs loaded on behind it.

Just behind that brown barrel, you can see my new Battery electric Pole Saw.... what a godsend that has been.... I can cut down Locust trees and stay away from the 3 inch long thorns.

that big 55 gallon barrel and the white tank you can just barely see below it, has a water pump on it.
the tank is an Agricultural weed sprayer, but with the Nozzle off and the wand Free Flowing, we can load up to 75 gallons of water and go around watering small starter trees and plants here and there.... it has been a wonderful thing for us....

a gas driven Golf Cart would not do near as well for us, we drive it 50 feet, stop and work. move another 50 feet and stop and work.... that is NOT good for gas engines. It rarely travels more than 150 feet at one time, until we run out of water, or have to travel to the back side to the burn pile.... that it gets about 1,000 feet of travel, maybe more... but not much.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
i use a battery tender 3a power plus, a schumacher 8a automatic, and a schunacher 2/10/ 50 automatic for the big bikes and tin tops. i do have a couple of battery tender jr's but i don't know where they are. i hope they are 6v and 12v so i can use them on my minitrail

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is a follow up to the last charger that I put on my '01 Suburban's battery to see how it is performing.

FYI, the battery is stamped 9/15 so going on 5-1/2 years old... I thought it was newer than that, but today I cleaned it up enough to read the sales date.

In Review: about a year ago, I forgot to turn off the GPS ( cig socket stays powered up ) and did not use truck for several weeks.... went to use the truck and no dome light, DVM on battery showed ~ 4 volts 😢

I have 3 "good auto type" battery chargers and they all cut off at 13.6 and don't push it beyond that point.
Every time, I pulled them off, the battery would drop below 12.0 to ~11.8ish which is not a good thing.

I dug in my shop and found my good charger that can rejuvenate batteries, it has had about 10 days to work on that, with me driving the truck several times ... I faithfully put this charger back on it when I got home ....
2 days ago, got to wondering how the battery is holding up, so left the charger off and let it set.
..... measured it last evening at 12.6 volts with no charge on it for about 30 hours.
much better than before.

So the Desulfating method does work, it is a PWM type charger, not a Constant Current charger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts