Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My battery cover pegs have worn out and I am often stopping to find something to strap it on to the motorcycle so I won't loose it.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how I might replace the pegs?

Happy New Year

Andre'

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:waving:If it is the pegs worn and not the rubber grommets, use ABS cement in layers to build them up.

Black ABS Cement-Oatey #30999,

Cleaner-Oatey #30779

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
imported post

I agree - most likely the rubber grommets don't grip the pegs tight enough.

Can you see noticeable wear on the pegs?? If not replace the grommets - I think I bought a set for about $10.00 (6 grommets) and only replaced two of them to get the side cover to hold tight.

If you need to repair the peg you can use ABS plastic cement from the plumbing section at the local hdwe store.

That piece of plastic can be very expensive to replace!! Very good idea to tether it with something - Don't leave it to chance or you WILL loose it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

put vasaline on your grommits and in a few days they will swell up a little. when rubber dries out it shrinks. the same thing will happen on your car or truck!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all your great advice. I'll let you know how things turn out

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

put vasaline on your grommits and in a few days they will swell up a little. when rubber dries out it shrinks. the same thing will happen on your car or truck!

I wish. If I add vasaline to my S10, I don't think it's going to swell up into a silverado.

jk ;)

dino

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Probably the easiest tip is to remove your grommets and rotate them 90 degrees and re insert them.

Now your pegs are going to pushed through an unused area of the grommet.

Surprising how tight the grommet gets by doing this.

Now the next tip is to tie a piece of heavy Fishing Line to your cover and add a snap swivel on the other end.

Now just circle one of your frame members and snap the swivel onto the line.

Now if your cover does come off, You won't loose it.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

One of the side covers on my CB750 had a peg broken off, it was drilled and a bolt put through it. With a nut on the other end, it still popped in and out of the grommet and held inplace well.

Not pretty, but it got the job done...

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Do any of you all have pictures. I especially like the fish line idea.

AS

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
imported post

As said before but with a twist.

Roughen the peg with sandpaper then dip it in 30 min epoxy and set to drie.It will dry smooth as the peg but bulkier.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi Im4poor, read your other thread on this subject:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/37095.html

It is usually best to keep only one thread going on one subject. That way you get all the information from everyone in one place.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
As said before but with a twist.

Roughen the peg with sandpaper then dip it in 30 min epoxy and set to drie.It will dry smooth as the peg but bulkier.
I think (my wife says thinking gets me in trouble) it would be best to dip in ABS Cement, should get the same results and ABS Cement won't crack off ABS Plastic, IE Hondaline tupperware.:cooldevil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.