Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Fellow GWers,

I am looking for a little advice and here are the problems.

I put the battery on trickle for 2 weeks. Starts up beautifully. When I turn it off and try to start again it struggles.

I have a new battery (maybe that's the problem).
I am getting a noise I think from the right side almost like a ticking noise or arcing noise. I have replaced the spark plugs recently. (power drained happened before I replace these)

Power seems to be draining from somewhere just trying to figure out how to isolate it. When the bike is running its reading 14v -ish

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter? Amp meter?

You can test some things with a voltmeter. With an amp meter it’s easier to isolate a draw. Pulling fuses may help find the draw if that is the problem.

After a full charge in the battery, let it sit at least over night. Static voltage should be 12.6. If it’s less, like 12.3 then your battery is no good. This is assuming your volt meter is accurate to .1 volt.
David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, thanks for the quick response. I only have a voltmeter.

Ill test the battery soon.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
496 Posts
You don't say what year the bike is.
After charging the battery, put a voltmeter on the battery and hit the starter. If it's an 1800, hold the throttle wide open while cranking, bike will not start.
Older models, turn off the kill switch and crank. If the voltage drops below 10.5 volts, battery is bad.
Other than that, remove the battery, fully charge it and take it to an auto parts store. Most will load test the battery for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry thought I had it in my avatar.

1984 GL1200

Note: It hasn't been 24 hours since I've taken it off the trickle but its reading 12.85v.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
Your symptoms indicate a bad, weak or just dirty starter & a cracked spark plug cap.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have some gel-like substance in the spark plug caps.

I think I have found the problem with the battery. These wires are getting super hot and once I remove all the take I see the splice is melting.

GL1200 1984

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
496 Posts
Someone attempted to fix the stator wires and did a poor job using crimp connectors.
The best way is to remove the crimps and solder the wires together. Use heat shrink on each wire and then tape.
While you have the wires apart, check the AC voltage between the leads from the stator. 1-2, 2-3, 3-1. You should have over 50 volts AC between each pair. Just be careful not to short any of the wires.
Hopefullly you don't have a bad stator.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Morning Fellow GWers,

I am looking for a little advice and here are the problems.

I put the battery on trickle for 2 weeks. Starts up beautifully. When I turn it off and try to start again it struggles.

I have a new battery (maybe that's the problem).
I am getting a noise I think from the right side almost like a ticking noise or arcing noise. I have replaced the spark plugs recently. (power drained happened before I replace these)

Power seems to be draining from somewhere just trying to figure out how to isolate it. When the bike is running its reading 14v -ish
As Dave said above, your start issue hot is typical of a dragging starter. That is starts good cool but won't want to start hot. Very, very common on those bikes.
Also at night time with the lights off in the dark run the bike and inspect from the coils all the way to the spark plugs. You should find the spark arcing somewhere. If you can't see it run your hand along the same route. When you jump. you found the right place. :p:rolleyes:😎

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your help. Starter issue is fixed, fires right up and runs amazing!

Next task ticking noise. I might just replace the Spark plug caps and start there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts