Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:byebye:Hi fellow wingers. Well I am back on two wheels again after a long hiatus. A broken back in 1987. Sold my 550-4 in 1990 because I couldn't ride. Well last month I purchased a 1987 Aspencade.I really do likethe style and it's my first Goldwing. All has been good up until Sunday the 14th. After being out on the bike much of the day Saturday I parked the bike. Installed headset in helmet Sat. evening. Sunday went out to take a ride and test out the headset. To my surprise the bike would not start. NO POWER. Tested the battey and it was very low. Got a charger and charged the battery over night. The battery held the charge well. Put the battery in the bike on Sunday 8-21 and went out for a ride. Headset works good. All was good and got back and parked the bike. Went out this morning (Monday) to go to work and NO POWER again. Looks like something is draining the battery over night now. Have no clue. Fuse is good. Anysuggestions gang?

Thanks,

Jim

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey 2 Story :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:Good luck with your first Goldwing. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

2 Story wrote:
:byebye:Hi fellow wingers. Well I am back on two wheels again after a long hiatus. A broken back in 1987. Sold my 550-4 in 1990 because I couldn't ride. Well last month I purchased a 1987 Aspencade.I really do likethe style and it's my first Goldwing. All has been good up until Sunday the 14th. After being out on the bike much of the day Saturday I parked the bike. Installed headset in helmet Sat. evening. Sunday went out to take a ride and test out the headset. To my surprise the bike would not start. NO POWER. Tested the battey and it was very low. Got a charger and charged the battery over night. The battery held the charge well. Put the battery in the bike on Sunday 8-21 and went out for a ride. Headset works good. All was good and got back and parked the bike. Went out this morning (Monday) to go to work and NO POWER again. Looks like something is draining the battery over night now. Have no clue. Fuse is good. Anysuggestions gang?
Jim, it sure does sound like you have a parasitic battery drain... Probably the easiest way to address that is to remove the (+) battery cable at the battery,, then place a 12 volt test light between the removed cable & the (+) battery post.. If you have a battery drain it should light the test light or at least make the test light glow.

If the test light lights up just start pulling fuses or disconnecting accessories until the light goes out (when the light goes out you have found your problem circuit, or the offending accessory)..

If the test light doesn't light when installed between the battery's (+) cable & (+) battery post pull your battery & have it load tested.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:action:REDWING, Thanks for the Welcome.

:weightlifter:Twisty, I will give it a try and hope I can find it. It's good to be on two wheels again.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Jim,

First off, :waving: WELCOME :waving:to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :waving:

I too had this problem. I bought an 84 Aspencade about 4 months ago and everything seemed fine. Then, all of a sudden, it would not start. I would charge the battery and it would run good but would be dead the next morning.

I could not find any draw except for the radio memory, the clock and one of the gauges in my right fairing.

I ended up taking the battery to a local auto parts store (Auto Zone) and having it load tested as Twisty has mentioned. That was it. The battery was found to be no good. I wouldtake the battery out first thing and run it to an auto parts store and have them check it. It is quick and doesn't cost anything.

**NOTE**Make sure you charge the battery before you take it. They need a full charge toproperly check it. I had to wait for them to charge mine before they could test it.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Jim,

If it turns out to be the battery, you may want to buy an AGM type battery instead of a standard lead acid battery. I have been using an Odyssey AGM battery in my Wing for three seasons and it cranks faster, lasts longer before discharge and does not drip acid. I have played my Clarion type 2 radio for 4+ hours without running the engine while working on the bike and it still cranks like new. I do not use a battery tender and have no trouble. They claim that the AGM batteries last years longer than lead acid batteries. I can only attest to 3 years and counting.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Did you by the "Odyssey" on the internet or at a store?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Something wrong with your computer wingdawg101?

:goofygrin: :grinner: :goofygrin: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:

:goofygrin: :grinner: :goofygrin: :grinner:
That's funny!!Sorry for that!:goofygrin:

Yes something was wrong with my wireless connection! Couldn't even get on the internet for a few minutes!:baffled:

Started to panic but i figured it out!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Thanks because a store wanted to charge me $135 for one!! Didn't work!:baffled::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I bought my Odyssey from Ebay for about 60 bucks. I got the PC680. There are many Odyssey batteries on Ebay right now for about 52 to 59 dollars. Before buying one, check the shipping as it varies greatly. Mine arrived within 5 days. Also, there are other brands of AGM batteries that some people may prefer.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Hey where is that echo coming from. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

:cooldj:Don't know about the echo.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I pulled the battery last night and charged it. Will take it to have it load tested. If it's bad, think I will get the Odyssey PC680MJ from the internet. Best price I think. The web site says " Battery installation reqquires re-routing the battery cables" What's up with this?

A day off my bike is like the last week here in the San Francisco FOG, GLOOMY.

Jim:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

2 Story wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the help. I pulled the battery last night and charged it. Will take it to have it load tested. If it's bad, think I will get the Odyssey PC680MJ from the internet. Best price I think. The web site says " Battery installation reqquires re-routing the battery cables" What's up with this?

Not sure but some "Odyssey's' had the post on the side instead of on top , if I recall right?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

2 Story wrote:

Jim, some of the AGM, & Odyssey batteries place the battery posts closer to the frame rails as they are slightly different in post placement & outer dimensions. It pays to check that out, or do as some do & place some isolation between the battery posts & frame metal.

Personally I use WestCo sealed AGM glass-mat battery's in all my bikes & 4 wheeler. The price is right, they hold up great, don't leak acid & so far have fit in all my bikes with no clearance problems.. I have one in a 4 wheeler going on 5 years & it's still going strong.

Twisty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.