Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi wingers , does your battery go flat after a week standing. or do I need a new one

its a1500se .cheers Col .

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Hello col, welcome to the forum! :waving:

The battery shouldn't be dead in 7 days. Have you checked your charging system? The system should be charging at the rate of at least 14vdc above 3000rpm., should be about 14.4vdc. actually. :thumpingmad:

If the charging system is OK then you either have an excessivedrain on the battery (more than clock and radio pre-sets) or the battery is bad.

You can search the forum for information ontesting the charging system and also read up on hard wiring the stator if yours isn't already done. The stator connection seems to be a common problem and you WANT (need) to take care of it before you suffer a major meltdown.

Check out your charging system and come back and post your findings!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I second the charging system, the alternator comes out real easy and the brushes are replaceable.

Check the battery static voltage, should be 13.8 v if not disconnect, fully charge and let rest for 4-6 hours and recheck voltage, if you don't get ^13v replace the battery.

If the battery checks good, pull the alternator, it's under the left side cover, three bolts and 1 or 2 wires pulls straight out. Splits a little hard, brushes are in a holder that's kind of a pain to access, but if I can do it you can as well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

col wrote:
hi wingers , does your battery go flat after a week standing. or do I need a new one

its a1500se .cheers Col .
Hi Col! It shouldn't die that quickly, as the guys said check the battery current with everything off. If it's 25mA or so it's likely the battery is on the way out. I'm assuming that it works okay when you're riding it and it stays charged if it's parked for one or two days.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

How old is the Battery?

When you buy one get a "Sealed Battery" maintenance free!"Odessey" or "Westco" etc even "Yuasa" makes a "Sealed Battery"!

Regular battery should be good for 3-5 weeks!

I've gone one month and it started up!

A sealed will last longer!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks everyone for the advice,

there is no amps drain and its charging at 14.5 so I think ill have to spash out on a gell battery, cheers Col .

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Do NOT get a gell or gel battery, they are not compatible. Get an AGM (Absorbed Glass mat) battery.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Do NOT get a gell or gel battery, they are not compatible. Get an AGM (Absorbed Glass mat) battery.

Raymond
I belive the "Odessey Battery's" are AGM?

What are the gell batteries not compatible with?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yes, Odyssey, WestCo, and all motorcycle batteries of that ilk are AGM. Gel batteries are used for stuff like battery back up units, alarm systems, etc... Just clearing up so you don't go looking for a gel battery when you should be looking for an AGM battery.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've always gone cheap and never been let down. I buy a regular lead acid battery and use it for two years then replace it. Usually buy a house brand, or a Yusa(?) if they are on sale somewhere. I like lead acid batteries because they usually give plenty of notice when they're getting tired and it's easy to check the charge level on them. You can also geta good idea if they are being over charged by water loss so it gives a check on the charge system.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I have to agree wuth exavid, I use the old lead acid batteries, usually get 4-5 years out of them.

Just keep the electrlyte level up by topping with distilled water and when I see the sediment building up on the bottom, I know the end is near.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
I have to agree wuth exavid, I use the old lead acid batteries, usually get 4-5 years out of them.

Just keep the electrlyte level up by topping with distilled water and when I see the sediment building up on the bottom, I know the end is near.
In this Desert heat you're lucky if you get 2 years out of a regular acid battery!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

I agree the AGM batteries are better. Using a battery tender or optimate usually doubles the life of any battery, even a cheapo.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

col wrote:

its a1500se .cheers
Col, if your battery is holding up day to day but dies after sitting for a week that probably points to either a parasitic drain or a bad battery. Pull the positive battery cable & place a small 12 volt test light between the removed battery cable & (+) battery post. If the test light lights or glows you have a parasitic drain capable of draining your battery in a week or so. If the test light doesn't glow then you probably have an internal battery problem.

I have to agree with AGM battery recommendation. I have been using those for quite a while now & they have some advantages. The first is they don't allow acid & acid fumes to get all over the battery, cables & wire connectors .. Second the hold up very well to long storage without sulfating or needing trickle charging.. Third, they hold up much longer that conventional lead acid & more than give you the money difference back in longer life. I have a couple in 2 old bikes that hardly ever get ridden & they are going on 6 years & still going strong.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks wingers. Ive decided to go for a lead acid battery , perhapswithour English weatherit may be better, keep chatting its great . cheers Col

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.