Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I first bought my bike 4 months ago, I had to buy a new battery before I could test ride it.

The previous owner had a gel battery in it that was only a few months old and had gone dead and wouldnt take a charge.

He had returned it and was waiting for an answer from the manufacturer as to weather or not it was defective so he could get a credit.

Now the one I had bought (Walmart cheapo) hasfailed the same way.

I can jump start it. It will charge in the bike to a point, but will drop to about 7volts in about an hour.

When I disconnect it from the terminals, there are no sparks.

Ithas workedfine for four months.

It only sat for a week before this occured.

Any ideas??

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Hopefully you didn't have a battery tender on it. If not I think you said it best (Walmart cheapo). I've done the same thing and had the same problems before. Only by better quality batteries now.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Actually the last owner did put one on the bike.

I just never used it.

Didnt see the need to since it is warm out and it never sits for more than a week.

The gel battery he put on it was an exspensive one and it failed the same way.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I currently have a Honda battery in my bike and it is almost 5 years old. I think that is pretty good for a bike battery. I would try a new battery.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That an Everstart battery, by any chance?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Jim and Lee wrote:
mikef wrote:
That an Everstart battery, by any chance?
Yup
That's what I figured. I bought one for my truck in January and they just replaced it for free, because it lost all of it's CCA's from 690 to 400. Damn thing would sit for a day or two, and not start. Those batteries are junk. After I started having trouble, I did some research and found the same type of complaints.

I also had a gel battery on my 86, and had the same problem. Just went dead, and I'm not sure why. I checked out the stator, which is still going strong after 2 years since the check, and cleaned and tightened all the connections, and hard wired the stator.

Without a decision from the manufacturer, I wouldn't be too quick to question my bike's charging system. I would do the hard wire treatment to the stator, clean and tighten the connections, and go buy a different battery. I replaced mine with a Yuasa battery, and it's been going strong, since.

Problem is, Walmart won't refund, only replace. I got my Everstart replacement for free (6 months old) so I let them replace it. Can't see throwing away another $80. At least unless it happens again in another 6 months. Then, it's gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.