Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 86 Aspy and need a new, cheap battery as I am selling it. One place calls for a 24 battery and another says an 18. What battery do I need and what is a good source to buy from either on-line or store? I am in Las Vegas.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

Try WalMart, they have them in stock most of the time. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

84-87 GL1200 is C50-N18L-A from my Nichols book.

Bought an interstate battery afew months agofor a 1200 and it was about $50 dealer price andit's a crappy 1-season battery (only 6 month warranty).

Maybe Walmart has better warranties than Interstate?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

I usually price them at Wally World too, but hen I go to the locally AutoZone or parts store and they price match for a better battery. It's just thought, but it works at most other stores as well. Just saved myself about $40 for my new battery. Always check the CCA of the battery be sure it is strong enough to roll it over in cold weather. CCA is rated at 0 degrees, and CA is rated at 32 degrees. It's usually listed on the box or battery. Interstate and most of the world's batteries are made at Johnson Controls and each name brand can be very different from the next. Interstate batteries are not very good, the same for diehard and many others as well.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Interstate & Die Hard....never heard anything good about either one of them. :stumped: Yet, they are both still in business?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

It's funny that you should mention battery manufactures.....Several years ago I attended a class on batteries, and was amazed to find out that back then there were only a hand full of battery manufactures.....Some battery companies made as high as 20 different "Brand Name" batteries in one factory....:shock:.....

Another thing that caught me off guard was they had 3 batteries cut in half to show us how the battery companies rated their batteries by years of warrant.....One the plates were about 1 1/2 in from the bottom , the next the plates were like 2 inches off the bottom and the last battery the plates were about 3 1/2 inches off the bottom...Me thinking that the closer the plates were to the bottom the more plate the longer the warranty,......But I was totally wrong its the other way around....

Today there are batteries that are Jell filled and can be mounted upside down , and these I have no idea about warranties.....And yes I do believe that Interstate and Die Hard are still around.....But who am I to know all my batteries come from Wally World for all my vehicles.....

Claude......

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

I would go to wal-mart, I had one in my 81 from there and it was identical in every way to an original equipment Honda battery except for the brand name. Made by Yuasa in Japan. You probably won't find a better price and you will have peace of mind that you sold someone something good. BTW Exide makes wal-mart car batteries as well as the rest of the good brand names. I agree interstate is a POS battery, can't remember ever seeing one that lasted as long as the prorated warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.